Painting Fondant (Mmf)

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:12am by tracey1970

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys...I have a cake coming up, and I need to paint on a design. I've never painted with the gel colors before. I've heard of mixing them with vodka, then paint like normal.

My question is whats the ratio here. How much gel to how much vodka?

5 replies
sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

hi there, i use cocoa butter and lustre dusts, there is a painted cake in my pics done with this method icon_smile.gif i find it a lovely medium to use. hope this helps x

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

It depends on the effect you want. Take a look at my latest cake (with a garden theme)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1442494

... I took a dark moss green (see the grass blades) and added a small glob on the end of a toothpick to about a teaspoon of vodka, and mixed it up. But you can add as much as you want ... I would suggest taking a piece of fondant the color of the one you are going to use and painting on it first. HTH!

-Emi.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys!

The cake I'm doing will be in the "naughty" section...but lets just say I have to paint on a "tramp stamp" and leave it at that

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

I paint on fondant all the time. I use gel colours and vodka. I don't have a ratio for you as I just mix them until I get the consistency that I want. However, it's best to administer the vodka a little bit at a time as it's easier to add more of that than to take it away. I use an eye dropper for the vodka so I have more control over how much comes out. I have tried to paint with straight gel colour (no diluting) and I found it very goopey and thick. It didn't look nice (streaky) and took forever to dry. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%