Nobody Ate My Cake!!! I Wanted To Cry. :'(

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 1:08am by sugarMomma

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 45

I spent 8 hours on a baby shower cake for my neighbor's daughter. I got the inspiration from a cake I saw on this website, I believe. My neighbor gave me $50 and told me to "surprise her". I know $50 is a lot for her. I wanted to really do something nice for her so I decided to do this design that I have LOVED for a long time. I changed it a bit though.

The inside was choc and van wasc. I made some cupcakes too. Oh god, they were good (of course I had to snag a cuppy!)

My hubby delivered the cake for me today. I was working. I went to see them when I got off and my neighbor pulls me aside. He said "dont get upset, but nobody ate your cake." I freaked out. I was like OMG was it horrible? what happened? He told me that his daugher loved it SOOO much, that she would not allow anyone to touch it. She would only let the guests eat the cupcakes and she said she could not bring herself to destroy the cake. She wanted to take it home and look at it some more. LOL.

I got tears in my eyes when I was told no one ate it. I worked so hard on it! ITs meant to be eaten! Oh well. Maybe at least she will eat a piece later. icon_sad.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

44 replies
luna_star Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luna_star Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 45

Awww no! I've had that happen to me before too. At the end of the day, it's a testament to how wonderful your cake decorating skills are though - it's too gorgeous to cut into! icon_smile.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 45

Me too....I did a shoe cake and they didn't want to cut it......they eventually did but you're right luna_star, I like to think too that it is a testament to your work. and your cake, JCE62108 is adorable.....no wonder they didn't cut it....

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 45

I've had that happen to me recently as well. I made a pregnant belly cake and some cupcakes and the mom-to-be wouldn't let anyone cut the cake. They all ate cupcakes, and she took the belly home with her. Everyone raved at how good the cupcakes were (they were vanilla wasc), and they all thought that the belly was cute. It didn't bother me any, I thought it was funny. But you're not in that boat alone.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 45

Same thing happened to me as well with a Louis Vitton purse cake. I took it as a compliment!

JCE62108 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 45

Awww. Well I guess I do take it as a compliment, but Im just a little dissapointed that I worked so hard at baking that cake. I did it in the pyrex bowls and it took me a total of 4 hours to bake the 4 halves! LOL. Dude, I could have made it out of foam. haha

That's cool that its happened to you guys too. It is a nice compliment, in a disapointing way... icon_smile.gif

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 45

The same exact thing happend to me. I made a 2 tier cake and 75 cupcakes to match for this event and the mother-to-be loved the cake that she was going to save it for the shower that her husbands friends where having for him mind you this was six days later she kept it in the fridge and they ate it. Everyone loved it said it was so moist go figure and I always bake all my cakes 2 days before and no earlier. I will try and attach some pictures not sure if I will be able to.

You got to just laugh
Kerri
Luvbug Creations

Eat-it-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eat-it-2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 45

icon_sad.gif Sorry this happened to you! I made a cake for my mother-in-law's birthday, when I took it to her, she just happened to be having a party for someone she works with who passed his testing for work. No one would cut into the cake to eat it, hours passed, still no one would cut it, it was beautiful, an oval basketweave with roses and leaves on top. I felt horrible, was it really that bad? I doubted all the time and effort put into it. Finally my mother-in-law came to me and asked me to cut it, because everyone was afraid to cut into such a beautiful cake! As soon as I cut it into pieces, people started to line up! What a relief, sometimes the beauty of the cake intimidates others, what a hard lesson to learn!!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 45

Take it as the highest compliment that they wanted to look at it more than eat it icon_lol.gif

I don't blame them, that is one adorable baby with the cutest little teddy

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 45

now now....

don't you remember ---

let sleeping babies lie -- wake them and well -- you'll regret it.

and your baby is just so darn CUTE and peaceful!

----
excellent job

not eating a compliment to just how good it is.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_star

Awww no! I've had that happen to me before too. At the end of the day, it's a testament to how wonderful your cake decorating skills are though - it's too gorgeous to cut into! icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't have wanted to cut it either. That baby is just too adorable.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 45

I run into that problem more than I want to think...especially when I bring a special cake to a friend or family member. Then the absolutely refuse to cut it and pretty much tell me that it won't be cut unless I cut it! And I hate cutting into my own work. I had to laugh when Duff from Charm City Cakes said the same thing..I know how he feels! LOL! Chances are they will finally eat it tonight but, hey, I have to agree with them...it's totally adorable! LOL! I wouldn't have WANTED to cut it at the shower but I would have just to let everyone have a bite!

Great job!

Cat

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 45

I have seen so many cakes on this site that I would have trouble cutting into. I don't blame her for wanting to take it home and stare at it a little longer. Someone did that w/ the top part of my R2D2 cake I made, I was talking w/ a friend and he said "oh, I was at emily's house and she showed me the R2D2 head that was from the birthday cake you made her, she keeps it in the freezer". I was shocked, I made emily that cake like 6 months ago! I can't imagine it looked that great after that long being in the freezer and forget about ever eating it!
It is a real compliment if you ask me!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 45

I mean there seems to be a rash lately of way too cute cakes that people don't want to cut/eat.

Now here's an idea.

Give the kid a little tumor somewhere--come on just a little well placed flattened cake truffle--not too big--we wouldn't want to gross anyone out--then they get to play Doctor and save the little kid's/cakes' life and viola the first cut has been made--yes it tastes great and others will follow.

We should probably charge extra for the tumors yah think?

We can start whole threads about how much to charge and how big to make the tumors.

I mean the other option is quit making such cute cakes--what?

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 45

I have had the make the first cut on several cakes because no one wanted to destroy it. I'll have to admit that it makes me feel really good, so I just smile and cut away. icon_lol.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 45

Oh my goodnesssss, trust me, I would have had a hard time cutting it too!!! don't feel bad, the cake is so cute that she didn't have the heart to cut it...take it as a compliment, it's looks sooooo sweet and real thumbs_up.gif plus, remember how sensitive pregnant women are, in her mind that cake represented a baby and how could you put a knive through that??? and I totally understand how you feel, but I'm sure she loved it so much that she didn't let anyone touch it!! the proof of that is that she let everyone have the cupcakes but not that baby icon_biggrin.gif
You did an awesome, (awesome!!) job!! thumbs_up.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 45

OMG, first of all that has got to be the cutest little baby I have ever seen. It is going into my favs too! {edited} I can't save it! It's not in your photos. Please add it so we can save it.

Secondly, I can feel your pain as well. I have, more than I can remember, had to be the one to pick up the knife and make the first cut. It's a little painful but not as bad as NOT EATING THE CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a matter of fact, there is a whole (uncut) cake still in the freezer of a friend's house, for 5 years now. Every time the subject comes up they take it out to show. GEEEEEZ!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydragon663

I have had the make the first cut on several cakes because no one wanted to destroy it. I'll have to admit that it makes me feel really good, so I just smile and cut away. icon_lol.gif

I've done this, too, when it becomes apparent that nobody is going to step up and cut the damn cake!

I had one couple tell me that they couldn't bring themselves to cut a dog cake that I'd made of their dog. They said they took it home after the reception and ate it when they got back from their honeymoon, starting at his butt and working their way up until only his head was left. I couldn't see how that was any better than just eating the cake at the reception...Would you want a severed dog head staring up at you from a plate? icon_confused.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 45

OMG that is the cutest cake ever!!! I have never saved a cake to my favorites but I want to put this one in. How can I get this cake photo into "favorite photos".

My highest compliments to you. Such an adorable cake.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #20 of 45

Super cute baby, I can understand her reaction too!

Kate--you have a sick and hilarious mind! icon_biggrin.gif

Costumeczar--that is too funny and all I can picture is a particularly nasty scene from The Godfather. icon_wink.gif

I've had the same thing happen to me. First time baking a Chocolate-Guinness cake. I made a few cupcakes to try it out and it was soooo tasty. I couldn't wait to get the rave reviews. That was at the end of May. The guy I made it for STILL has the cake. It was a big can of Guinness so he keeps it in his beer fridge. His brother told me they're going to smuggle it to Ireland and bury it under the Guinness brewery. They even named it. I don't know if I'll ever have a more interesting cake story...unless I do his bday cake next year...

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #21 of 45

Really cute cake. Definately take it as a compliment, that was how it was meant!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #22 of 45

i wouldnt have wanted to cut it either...it is too cute.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #23 of 45

It's gorgeous! I have the same trouble...sometimes people think that it's just too cute to be eaten. At which point I stand up and say, I worked 15 hours on that cake, eat the damn thing!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #24 of 45

I used to have my candy line in a local coffee shop and ocassionaly I would make a cake for a regular customer. There was a group of old men (farmers) who met there every day for coffee and gossip. Anyway, the owner asked me to make a cake for the guys as a group and to celebrate the birthday of one of them. He used to sell tractors (not John Deere) so I did a cake that had him on a tractor in the middle wearing a no JD tshirt. Around the rest of the cake I made a gum paste head for each man that I actually took the time to make look just like each of them. Every one off these old guys took thier heads off the cake, wrapped them in napkins and carried them around with them for days. The birthday boy cut the cake around the tractor and let them eat that part but actually took the tractor part to 2 more parties during the week so that people could see it. It dont know if he even ate the tractor part of the cake.

I also did a fairy baby sleeping on top of a shower cake and they would not cut it. I think there is something about a baby on a cake that keeps them from eating it. lol.

Your cake is absolutely adorable.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #25 of 45

That is a fabulous cake, first of all I know they think it is too cute to cute & second maybe they felt a bit strange to cut a cake that is a baby cake, it is the reason I dont make carved baby or pet cakes, I do them as toppers, when I explain to people my reason, they always agree with me & thank me for pointing out that they would have a hard time cutting it. Just my point of view.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #26 of 45

I always find it to be such a compliment when someone says they don't want to cut my cake. I like it even more when they finally do cut it and tell me how delicious it was!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #27 of 45

LOL! I had a similar experience last night. Made a cake for a friend's baby shower. It's nowhere as cute as your cake. She requested cheesecake so I made a 2-tiered cake with NY cheesecake on the bottom and dulce de leche brownie on the 2nd tier. Frosted with white chocolate cream cheese bc and decorated with chocolate.

The shower was at my house as I'm one of the co-hosts. We had a caterer come in and do mongolian barbecues to order and for dessert we had a sundae bar and the cake.

At the end of dinner people were so stuffed they literally couldn't eat another bite. Way past midnight, when only our core of really good friends remained and our husbands were all drunk or tipsy, my friend finally hit on a solution. She asked me to keep the top tier for her 2nd baby shower next friday. Once the cake was "cut" (or rather, diassembled), the husbands started begging for slices of cake and then so did everyone else. What started as requests for polite little slivers became demands for a hunk of cake. The 8 of us ended up polishing off the entire 9" first tier!

We joke that we just waited for the crowd to leave so we can have more for ourselves. Oh and I had never seen anyone drink beer with cheesecake...until last night!

The top tier is in my freezer waiting for friday.
LL

JCE62108 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:36pm
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

That is a fabulous cake, first of all I know they think it is too cute to cute & second maybe they felt a bit strange to cut a cake that is a baby cake, it is the reason I dont make carved baby or pet cakes, I do them as toppers, when I explain to people my reason, they always agree with me & thank me for pointing out that they would have a hard time cutting it. Just my point of view.

You know what, I was worried about that. I saw the original cake and thought it was sooo adorable I just really wanted to try it. SHe gave me freedom of design so I thought it would be a good opportunity to try it. I asked EVERYONE at work what they thought about cutting into a baby cake. Some said it was weird, some said, HECK NO! Its cake! Eat it! It was about 50/50. So...I decided to go with it.

I think next time someone gives me freedom of design I wont do one like this again. I wonder if the design of it had some part to play in her not wanting to eat it. And the comment about preggers woman being emotional...oh heck yeah. I thought about that too. Its her first baby as well. She's all sentimental about it Im sure.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I dont have any of my photos uploaded. Ill upload a few right now so you guys can save the baby if you want to. icon_smile.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #29 of 45

That happened to me too! I guess it is quite common. Judy put this cake on top of her refridgerator for weeks. She refused to let anyone cut it at her 50th party. How adult mature is that??? It took me several hours to do this cake too.
LL

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #30 of 45

That cake is too georgeous, no wonder they did not want to eat it, I would not have eaten it either, Sorry I know you put your hard work into it, but I would defanitely have to save it
Totally amazing, georgeous, awesome wonderful, cake it rocks1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%