Does Anyone Teach Cake Dec Courses Other Than For Wilton?

Decorating By CambriasCakes Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 5:42am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

CambriasCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

Forgive me if this subject has already been discussed - I can't find it anywhere if it has. A few people I know have expressed interest in learning the basics of cake decorating but they really don't have the time to commit to a 4-week course taken at a craft store.

I'm thinking of offering a one-day basic course loosely based on the Wilton methods, but throwing in some other techniques as well. Does anyone out there do this type of class? And if so, would you be willing to share any information or ideas such as how many hours of instruction, what to charge. etc?

Any information is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

6 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 7

No, I haven't yet, but there are several ladies at my church after me to teach cooking/baking/decorating classes. Main thing holding me back is having a good space to teach in. Our current parish hall's kitchen won't work. I guess if a space did become available I'd have to figure out what to teach and how to teach it!

icer101 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 7

i teach wilton at michaels. and then i teach cake decorating at community college here.. that is on saturdays. from 10-1 .. it is 6wks.. i get paid 21.00 dollars an hr.. i love it.. i teach there around 4 times a year. i teach basics onto advanced etc. they make a wedding cake also. and get in to fondant and gumpaste. hth

CambriasCakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

icer - that does help some - thank you! So for the class at the community college, did you come up with your own course description or is it strictly Wilton methods?

adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 7

I live near two cake/candy supply stores. They both teach various levels of cake decorating class, but each level is a 5 week session. I really don't know what someone can expect to learn in a one day session. Oh, they do not teach the Wilton method.

CambriasCakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 7

adonis - I know a couple of the community colleges in my area teach a 1-day course that goes from like 9am-4pm. So they basically cover Wilton course 1 in a day instead of spreading it out over 4 weeks. That's what I was hoping to do.

Thanks to all who responded!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 7

That's an awful lot to teach and take in in just one day. I took the Wilton course thru my local community college, all 3 levels, each 3 hrs./night over 5 weeks. Even then, I sometimes found it overwhelming. It would all depend on how much detail you're planning on giving - just the basics (how to torte, fill and cover with BC, maybe a quick rose lesson), or if you're planning on doing more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%