How Do I Transfer A 12X18X2 Cake.

Decorating By rgarcia Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:31am by Parable

rgarcia Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 7

So i love to bake but when i did my daughter's cake for her 1 yr birthday. Getting it out of the pan was a struggle for me. How do i manage to get out a 12x18x2 cake on to the sheet to cool so i can frost. Im making this cake for a best friends nephew's birthday next saturday the 29th. So any tips will help. Thank You. By the way im new to this site as well.

6 replies
icer101 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 7

any time i bake a 9x13 .. 11x15... 12x18... i have the board ready .. board 2" larger than the cake.. i have it covered with white freezer paper from the grocery store. after it sits in pan for about 10 min.. then i put the covered board on top of the cake in the pan. flip it over and that is all. if there is any hump on the matter which size. i take it off with a serrated knife.. then do what i just said. then i let it cool more... then wrap in heavy foil and put in freezer.. ready to decorate. if i need to torte it... then i do that right before i ices.... i use the same size cake board as the cake to lift off the torted top.. dam it .. fill it. then slide the top right on. never had one to break on me. i,ve done this for 13 years. hth

cakes-r-us Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

What I do is prepare my board, level cake, and after it has cooled a bit but the board on top and flip it over and the cake comes out. If it a little crooked I straightened it out before it sticks to the board. You can crumb coat at this time and let it continue to cool until you can ice it.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 7

Welcome! I let my larger sheets come to room temperature in the pan. I then spread some bc on my board, turn it over the cake pan, center it then place it on top of the pan. I then pick the cake up from the bottom of the pan with one hand and the other on the bottom of the board and flip. Never had a problem!

rgarcia Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 7

thank you so much. so when i place the board over the pan and flip i leave the cake bottom side up and that is how i would put the icing. right. maybe im a dork because i try to put the botom of the cake on the bottom of board.

prterrell Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 7

The "top" of the cake when baking is the "bottom" of the cake on the board.

Parable Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

My suggestion, first, is to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper before adding the batter. This will prevent the cake from sticking on the bottom. Then after it is baked, run a sharp knife around the sides before flipping onto the prepared board. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%