Tips For Humidity

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm by lchris

nicoles0305 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 6

So I made a cake today. I used a buttercream that consists of shortening, margarine, and 10X mainly. I've used this frosting plenty of times, but have yet to figure out something that will help it withstand the humidity/heat a little better. I managed to deliver the cake just in the nick of time. I managed to get it into the fridge right away, which helped it to set back up. Whew!

Anyway, does anyone know of any tricks that would help this frosting withstand the humidity/heat a little better? If I can't figure anything out, I'm going to have to limit my customers to my other frosting during the summer months. TIA!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 6

The best buttercream. Ever.

And down here, we know all about heat and humidity icon_biggrin.gif

nicoles0305 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

I'm definitely trying that! Thanks!

icer101 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

also , try sugarshacks buttercream. you can see her making it on youtube... she uses hi ratio shortening.. which is great for humidity.. hth

Loucinda Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 6

Ditto on the Sugarshack recipe. I do not use anything else now. It holds up in 95+ heat AND humidity - I am a firm believer in it!

lchris Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 6

Sugarshack icing here also.

My computer weatherbug says 101 right now!! Nice... icon_surprised.gif

I'll be making a cake for next weekend that will be outside for a childs party. Hopefully they'll eat the cake before it sits out too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%