Recommended Books And "dummy" Cake Question

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm by TitiaM

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm relatively new here. I've posted only a few times. I've been baking and decorating cakes for quite some time though. I'm trying to "perfect" my hobby. Does anyone have an suggestions on any good books that are out there about cake baking and decorating, tiered cakes, etc.?
Also, I'm wanting to practice decorating more without baking cakes. Where does one get a "dummy" cake? Do you have to make it yourself?
Thanks for any help!

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 8

You can purchase the styrofoam forms online. I get mine (and most of my cake supplies) at countrykitchensa.com

As far as books go, I recommend the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum and any/all of Collette Peters' books.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

There are lots of good books out there. A good starting point is your local library, because not all books have the same amount of detail or use the same styles. That way you can really take your time reading different ones and figure out which books match your learning style and interests.

Personally, I like books by Debbie Brown a lot. Collette Peters' books are nice too but for me, they're more for looking at and less for trying to make. So I'm more likely to go to the bookstore and flip through them than I am to actually buy them. I have a book by Toba Garrett and she's very thorough. Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes is great too.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 8

I'm also a big fan of Peggy Porschen. Also like Lindy Smith's books.

I purchase pre-cut cake dummies online from dallas-foam dot com. Their prices are good and they're quick to get the items out. Big selection as well.

You can cut your own cake dummies if you have a foam place nearby. We can purchase sheets of 4' x 8' 4" thick styrofoam down here in Texas so check up there and see if you have a place that sells styrofoam in big sheets. You can probably cut more than enough cake dummies from one sheet of foam!

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

thanks so much for all the helpful info!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 8

i have peggy's book and i love it!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 8

Hi newmansmom2004. Do you happen to know of any places in Houston where you can pick up these sheets?

To the OP,

I like the Debi Brown books too although she does focus on fondant so if your looking for bc you may not want to get her books. For gp flowers I love Scott Clark Wooley's book and anything by Alan Dunn. Nicolas Lodge is another great one for gp decorations too. I don't have Toba Garret but I hear that her books are good too. I only have one Collete Peters book and think it's not bad either.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 8

I like the International School of Sugarcraft books--set of three. (Nicholas Lodge) They are great general books, and cover a lot of different subjects. I refer to them a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%