Help W/ Dark Blue Icing

Decorating By melmar02 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm by melmar02

melmar02 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making cookie monster cupcakes for a fundraiser this weekend. They are going to be chocolate. For the icing, will the color come out right if I start with chocolate buttercream icing and add blue color, or will the brown base just give me a headache and I should go with regular buttercream w/ blue color?

Has anyone tried this w/ chocolate? That's what I would really like, but I won't have time to make another batch if it all goes horribly wrong!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the input.

2 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 3

I don't think the color will come out right if you use chocolate. Cookie monster's fur is a bit dark, but it's also bright, I'm thinking the chocolate would make it way too muddy. You could try making white chocolate buttercream, though. It's a very pale ivory, and if you already use butter in your buttercream, the white chocolate won't make it much different than that. Just remember when you are melting the white chocolate in your double boiler, to add 1 tbsp of unsalted butter for every 6 oz of white chocolate...it will help the white chocolate melt properly and help prevent seizing when you introduce it into the buttercream base.

melmar02 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the input! I was really worried that I would have to use a ton of blue color if I used the white buttercream as a base. It turned out pretty good though. I'll get pictures up soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%