Help! How Do I Attach Fondant Accents That Are Not Flat To

Decorating By branbrielliott2 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:21am by MORSELSBYMARK

branbrielliott2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
branbrielliott2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 12

either Butter cream iced cake or fondant covered...I am not sure which one...I am icing right now....

I have used water and brush to the flat ones but never used fondant one that were raised...they are flower that I put in a egg carton to hold there shape...

Thanks so much

11 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 12

How about a tooth pick!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 12

To attach things to a cake I use anything from a palette knife to tweezers to paint erasers (yes, you heard me right!) and toothpicks and glue it all with piping gel. icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a link to the paint erasers I use: http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=1368&productName=FolkArt+%AE+One+Stroke%99+Accessories&Cat1ID=&Cat2ID=&Cat3ID=&brandID=&keywords=&New=False&Closeout=False&HotDeal=False&page=1

They are little rubber tips on the end of a handle but they are glorious when it comes to fondant work! icon_lol.gif

branbrielliott2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 12

I was talking about to glue it on...I can pick them up..they are not small but not real small...I just dont think water will do...I have very little butter cream left will that work???

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 12

BC will not help it 'stick' very well, water is the best. I have also tried corn syrup, but that tends to run and not hold as well as water. BC did not work for me.

hope that helps!

branbrielliott2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 12

So just water will hold a pc of MMF flower to a cake...Ijust hope its not to heavy....cuz they are not flat..they stick out a bit..

branbrielliott2 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 12

will vanilla (clear) work the same???

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 12

I use only vanilla or gum glue.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 12

For sticking fondant to fondant, I use either water with a little CMC (1/2 c. water to 1/4 tsp. CMC; shake together and leave in fridge for several hours or overnight). If the pieces are dry, royal icing works like a charm. I don't know anything about sticking fondant to buttercream, which is unfortunate, because I have a buttercream-iced cake with fondant decorations to do in just five days. I'd appreciate any help along these lines, too.

Edited once because I got the CMC recipe wrong. See my signature box for the explanation.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 12

Glue it with piping gel. Works like a charm.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #11 of 12

I've used water and gum glue. If I don't have time to make gum glue out of pieces of gumpaste and water, I just mix some Gum-tex powder (like Tylose powder) with water until I get the glue consistency I want, and then use that. No waiting for gumpaste bits to dissolve.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #12 of 12

I use RI to attach decorations to my cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%