Thomas Cake

Decorating By mina_mina Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm by Makeitmemorable

mina_mina Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 10

hi!
i found this cake online and wanted to ask for an opinion on how to make it. i was thinking about baking a sheet cake (maybe 2 layers) then make a template and cut it from that. does this sound ok? if it was you how would you do it?
thanks

[url]Image [/url]
click on the pic to make it bigger...

9 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 10

HI mina mina, i would do it excactly the way you described. Two flat layers, Then carve and cover with fondant. His face isnt raised, so the surface is flat and should be easy enough to work. i would use a template though for cutting, im no good with free hand lol.

Good luck icon_smile.gif x

poohsmomma Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 10

That sounds about right. You could probably even do a 10" round-2 layer cake. That's a cute cake.
Good luck-and don't forget to post a pic

Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 10

Hi There,

Here is a Thomas Cake that I did - I just down loaded a picture from the internet of Thomas and enlarged it enough to the size of the cake and then used it as a template.

This cake was a 12 x 7.5" chocolate mud cake. I carved some dimensions into the cake around where his face was so that it look a little more raised and below the face so it gave it a little more depth.

The chimney, eyes and eyebrows I cut from fondant. I hand painted the black lines on the train but before I did that, I scored the fondant a little bit to again add more depth. I made the wheels and the little hooks from fondant.

You can get some really good affects from 2D cakes. This photo was taken before I finished it. On the board under the train I cut out a 'puff of smoke' in white fondant and put the birthday message in that.
Hope this helps,
Kim
LL

mina_mina Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 10

thank you Caths_Cakes and poohsmomma for your replies.

Makeitmemorable thanks so much for the instructions. i like what you did with the face and the smokes sounds awesome. im planning to make mudcake.
and can i ask 1 more thing? how many serves can you get out from 12 x 7.5" ?
hope mine will turn out half as good as yours.
thanks again.

Makeitmemorable Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 10

No problems at all icon_razz.gif Happy to help.

It depends on how you are slicing it but if it is just for a kids party and being a mud cake, you can easily feed 50 people.

Let me know if you want any other info - where in Sydney are you based?

Kim icon_wink.gif

mina_mina Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #7 of 10

i'm at Parramatta. this is for my friends sons birthday, he loves thomas icon_smile.gif i still have another month but i might do a trial cake before than.
by the way i checked out your website your cakes are great...

Makeitmemorable Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:03am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much, we are practically neighbours, I am in Baulkham Hills! What a small world!

Best of luck with the cake, let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers,

Kim

cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 10

Makeitmemorable - what a great Thomas the Tank!!

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Makeitmemorable - what a great Thomas the Tank!!

Thank you.... that is very kind of you to say so.

Have a great day,

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%