Help! Fondant Problems

Decorating By three4thequeen Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:50am by three4thequeen

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

I always have fondant problems. I'm not using fancy fillings or dams, just plain buttercream filling and crumb coating. Then covering with fondant. My fondant always bulges. I even let the cake settle after I torted them. So my question is...do you think my crumb coat is too thick? How thick should it be? I'm working on a cake tonight that's due tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:33am
post #2 of 5

The icing actually under the fondant is there to help adhere the fondant to the cake so it doesn't need to be as thick as you would have it when you have just the bc.

When I fill my cakes I like to let the settle overnight (sometimes it's not as long). What might help you out if it's not the amount of icing you have on the cake is perhaps put something heavy like a book on your cake while you let it settle. Fondant is heavy and it could compress your cake. The other thing is perhaps your cake is not dense enough to handle the weight of the fondant.

three4thequeen Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 5

thanks. I let the cakes sit for over 12 hours. Nothing is squishing out from the layers, but the buttercream is bunching up when the fondant is put on. I guess my cake gives a little too much when I put on the fondant.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:02am
post #4 of 5

That's probably it then (to much bc that is). If you don't already you might find it easier to put the fondant on a slightly chilled cake (you can stick it in the freezer for a few minutes).

three4thequeen Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:50am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I ended up decreasing the amount of buttercream and making the fondant thicker and it worked a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%