When Renting A Kitchen, Is The Kitchen Licensed Or Me?

Business By BuncoHappens Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm by Doug

BuncoHappens Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:33am
post #1 of 8

I found a licensed kitchen to possibly rent, but he said there can only be 1 license using their kitchen (non-profit organization)......so my question is: is the kitchen getting a license or me? So if I rent their licensed kitchen, I'm legal???

7 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 8

It depends on the state. You'll need to ask your health department. In my state, the kitchen has to be inspected, but it's the business (you) that gets licensed.

cakesdivine Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 8

You both must be here in Texas don't know where you are, but more than likely you too must have a food establishment or food manufacturers license for your business.
Also in TX you have to have a servsafe or learn2serv food managers certification as well.

BuncoHappens Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #4 of 8

I'm in Florida....

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 8

He may mean it might affect their not-for-profit status. If they are renting out the kitchen to a number of folks, it may look like this is a for-profit busienss venture for them. Or he may mean that their board just doesn't want to mess with more than one commercial venture in their facility.

leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

KY is the same as Ruth's Idaho rules. The kitchen get inspected and approved, the operator (the human) get licensed.

BuncoHappens Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for the information. I can't wait till Monday to start making calls, but I want the information now! That's why I'm full of questions!

If there is going to be rent, that maybe that $ will get donated to one of their charities. OR at least pay for the electric, etc. that I will be using. They do not rent the kitchen out for any other purpose.

So...I should be able to get licensed using their licensed kitchen, correct? I would need to supply my own insurance and probably take a food safety course.

I appreciate all replies! Indydebi....I met you briefly at the Las Vegas convention a few years ago. Cakes and Vegas....what a great time!

Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 8

Church treasurer here:

they can't charge anymore than "cost" -- which would be utilities, maintenance and repair, licensing fees. and you are right, one looks ok, 2+ looks for-profit-business.

you can donate more -- but that would have to be totally separate - like in a regular church offering envelop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%