In Which I Swiftly And Utterly Destroy A Cake Layer

Decorating By prterrell Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm by Williamus

prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:52am
post #1 of 13

Thought I'd post about a recent goof on my part. Yes, even we experienced bakers can totally mess up! icon_rolleyes.gif

Last week I made my father's birthday cake. My father loves chocolate, especially dark chocolate, so I made him my Chocolate Overload, which is two layers of dark chocolate devil's food with a dark chocolate brownie in between, dark chocolate sour cream ganache filling, and chocolate IMBC frosting, with more of the ganache spread in a thin layer on the top of the buttercream on the top of the cake.

I had just taken two beautifully baked layers of scratch cake out of the oven and they had rested the requisite 10 minutes in the pans. I had my cooling racks set up on my kitchen counter. I depanned the one layer -- perfection. I depanned the second layer, and as I lifted the pan from the turned-out cake, I managed to hit the pan on the bottom of the upper cabinet, knocking it out of my hands and into the still-warm layer of cake splitting it into half a dozen chunks! icon_cry.gif

Hubby and I snacked on fractured cake whilst I baked again and now we have a spare cake layer in the freezer for when I need an emergency dessert. Final cake turned out perfect and made the 8-hour ride from Atlanta to Raleigh intact and delicious.

12 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 13

Okay, can I say that sounds BEYOND delicious! I'm not a chocoholic, but I sure appreciate a good cake combo. And I absolutley LOVE sour cream ganache. And I can so sympathize. I was almost done making all my cake layers for 3 different cakes, last layer in the oven, but my DUMB SELF had them cooloing on a glass table top. I put a real large roll of heavy foil on the end, there goes the table cracking in half, losing half my layers!. Needless to say I was up until 5 am redoing the ones I lost. talk about hurt.

Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:56am
post #3 of 13

no, the real disaster is I wasn't there to get a piece icon_rolleyes.gif

great recovery

and that just sounds absolutely delicious!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 13

Oh dang it!

But wow it sounds like a wonderful cake.

susanscakecreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 13

Glad to hear it wasn't a total loss! And sorry I wasn't there to help you eat it!!!!!! Cake sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

ac2steachk Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 13

Wow. I'm a definite chocaholic--especially (well...only) dark chocolate. That almost sounds like too much.
I think I'll need to try it.

lthiele Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:24am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Thought I'd post about a recent goof on my part. Yes, even we experienced bakers can totally mess up! icon_rolleyes.gif

Yay - as a sleep deprived mother I am forever doing things like this. Will remember this post next time I "Have a moment!" icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 13

prterrel, i would love to see a pic of that cake sliced. it sounds sinfully delicious!

KHalstead Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 13

oh LaBella.........that's horrible.........you lost cakes AND your table!!! ouch!!

sweet-thing Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Okay, can I say that sounds BEYOND delicious! I'm not a chocoholic, but I sure appreciate a good cake combo. And I absolutley LOVE sour cream ganache. And I can so sympathize. I was almost done making all my cake layers for 3 different cakes, last layer in the oven, but my DUMB SELF had them cooloing on a glass table top. I put a real large roll of heavy foil on the end, there goes the table cracking in half, losing half my layers!. Needless to say I was up until 5 am redoing the ones I lost. talk about hurt.

This made me giggle. Did the table itself crack in half?! I think it is too cute that you were worried about the layers of cake and not the table! icon_smile.gif (my smiley faces quit working!)

sweet-thing Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 13

Hey! My smiley guy showed up!

prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

prterrel, i would love to see a pic of that cake sliced. it sounds sinfully delicious!

Unfortunately, I was too busy slicing and handing out pieces to my greedy little nephews at the time to think about photographing the cake. I'll def. photog. the next one!

Williamus Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 13

Sounds absolutely delicious. I am the only chocoholic in my family, so for family baking...I never get what I like. Yum Yum Yum. AS far as the disaster goes...I can't tell you how many times I've had to "start over"...we do it because we love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%