Crusting Or Non Crusting

Decorating By bekahmalcolm Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 3:16am by tonedna

bekahmalcolm Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 3

I was wondering what the difference performance wise is between crusting or non crusting icing. Also where i live it gets hot a humid and icing tends to melt even when my cake is completely cooled and ac is on . what icing should i use. Thanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JanH Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 3

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, bekahmalcolm. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting (high performance) American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

A frosting made with all shortening (Crisco) or hi-ratio (Sweetex or Alpine) will "hold up" in hot weather than an all butter recipe because of the higher melting point and emulsifiers.

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 3

I am a crusting buttercream kind of gal..But...buttercream would be more a matter of Non crusting buttercream is a bit more softer, requires refrigerations, most of the time is mad out of butter.
Crusting is made with high ratio shortening or vegetable shortening and sometimes butter can be added too. It can be left out of the fridge and can be smooth easier by paper towel technique.

In high humidity areas crusting holds a bit better than non crusting. Both of them are best work in AC areas, but non crusting usually requires more refrigeration. crusting can stay outside in AC area.
Hope this helps
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%