Making Fondant Swags???

Decorating By Cakes1985 Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm by Cakes1985

Cakes1985 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 10

I have tried and tried and I am ready to give up on my wedding cake! I fell in love with Edna's White topsy turvy wedding cake and thought I should attempt to make it for my own wedding, BIG mistake, I really don't know what I was thinking. I am having a very, very hard time to get the swag right on the bottom layer. I can't even get it to look anywhere close to what it should be. Can anyone help me or give me advice on how to get the swag to work? The ripples will not stay, it falls off the cake, and usually ends up ripping. Please help!!

9 replies
Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 10

What kind of fondant are you using? Maybe it's too soft? You could try mixing in some tylose powder so that it will be more pliable and it will dry quicker.

Cakes1985 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 10

I am using wiltons pre-made. I'm wondering if maybe if too thick, therefore making it to heavy and falling off? ?

**this is a styrofoam cake, not real, I don't really think that should affect it but you never know **

Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 10

It may be rolled too thick. Do you have any gumpaste or tylose powder at home? Since you're not eating this you could mix 50/50 gp/fondant and this will make it easier to work with.

Cakes1985 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #5 of 10

I have even tried doing a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixture, I just don't think I am meant to do the drap on this cake icon_sad.gif

diane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 10

why don't you post a picture of what it looks like so we can help you better.

i did swags on my daughter's graduation cake and i found that if the fondant is too soft it makes it harder to work with.

i took some dowls, evenly spaced them and put the fondant over it and worked with it(creating creases)...let it sit a bit and then pulled the dowls out. then i placed them on the cake and held it in place with toothpicks...hope i'm making sense.

if we can see exactly what is going wrong for you, then we can better help you out.

hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

JanH Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:44am
post #7 of 10

Have you seen this CC article on making swags:
(Of course, yours will be much larger and not so heavily pleated.)

In this thread, tonedna discusses how she applied the swags to a cake similar to her avatar:

Cakes1985 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 10

as soon as I get a chance I will tryand post pictures, last time I tried it wouldnt let me upload for some reason.

I remember doing swags in class and I did not bad at them but this swag looks like it lays flat on top and then has the draped effect on the sides, thats where I am having issues getting the fondant large enought to cover the cake but still be able to do draps, does that make sense? I will try posting a picture in a bit...

Loucinda Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 10

You could pm or email tonedna, I am sure she would help you! (pics are always a big help when something isn't right - I hope you can get it figured out)

Cakes1985 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 10

Ok, so I haven't had a chance to reply because I ended up having to move within 5 days and well my cake got pushed to the back burner! Anyhow, during that time I had some time to think about what to do about the bottom swags. Would it look ok if I did pleats on the bottom tier? My dress has pleats on it, so I thought this might be a nice way to tie in my dress with the cake? What does everyone think?

Anyone have suggestions on good ways of doing pleats? I have never done them before but I have confidence I can do them better than the swag. Also, do you do them in 1 big sheet of fondant or is each pleat individually cut and placed on there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%