Mailing A Cake?

Decorating By onemissa Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 2:37am by vickymacd

onemissa Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #1 of 7

My mother is having a birthday next month and she wants nothing more than to taste one of my cakes. The problem is that I live in Illinois and she lives in California. I would like to send her a fondant covered cake and also include an icing plaque of Elvis(her favorite). Is this possible or am I just crazy? Has anyone ever done this? I would really appreciate any great tips or advice. TIA!!!!

6 replies
luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 7

Hi,
That is a very good question I live in Rhode Island and would like nothing more than to send a cake to my mother in New Hampshire. does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Kerri
luvbug creations

SugarFrosted Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 7

CAUTION! Read this:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626570-shipping.html

You may have to rethink your plan!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 7

Yeah, that sounds like a bad idea. Unless somebody is going to drive it from A to B and personally deliver it I wouldn't waste your time.

vickymacd Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

Okay, I live in Michigan and my Mom lives in Arizona. She also sees all the cakes I bake for friends, etc. and craved one of mine. So, a couple years ago I decided for her b'day to mail her one. I made a regular round cake and thinking I could firm it up more, I positioned those piroette cookies all around it and tied a tight bow around all of that. Long story short, I sent in U.S. Mail as UPS won't do it cuz they topple their boxes around. I put it in a gallon ice cream bucket and then padded that inside another box and then another box. Packing each box with peanuts. It cost me $120 to ship it overnight.
Well, my mom was thrilled. My dad said he never saw her cry such tears of happiness when she opened it. She said it arrived perfect! I was so thrilled that I accomplished such a feat till my dad sent me a pic of my mom and the cake....it was a mess!!!!! I was so disappointed I wanted to cry. BUT, the moral of this story is....my mom couldn't have cared WHAT it looked like when it arrived, it was the thought. This past June I went to visit my parents and everyone that Mom introduced me to said "Oh, you're the daughter that mailed her a birthday cake".
The point is, it cost a LOT, was a disaster, but created a memory for my mom she will never forget.
Good luck!

saberger Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7

I have been wondering the same. How do places like this succeed at sending their cakes? http://ww4.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=23037&dataset=10584&cm_cid=d10584

vickymacd Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 7

These places don't SEND the cake.

They call that area that you want it delivered to and their LOCAL aviliate place takes them. Same with floral arrangements. They call their 'sister' company.

Some companies use their own drivers or special arrangements on planes. They never 'mail' them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%