Whew! Cake Almost Slid Off Of Cake Drum!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm by cylstrial

emiyeric Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 2

I was throwing together a cake last night on a short deadline, and applied my decorative royal icing to the cake drum like I usually do, and left it to dry. But it was late, and I wasn't thinking, and I ended up not allowing it to dry completely, and mounting the cake onto the cake drum with the icing still slick. I put the drum (cake and all) on my turntable (which, until yesterday, I had never noticed has a slight wobble and is ever-so-mildly lopsided) and proceeded to pipe the "grass" onto the bottom. Suddenly I noticed the cake was almost to the very edge of my drum! Backing up, I realized the slight incline to the turntable, and it hit me what I had done. By then, my pretty swirly pattern on my royal icing drum was completely obliterated, and it was all I could do to pull the cake back from the very edge and take a spatula to the icing and mix it all up "on purpose". At least I didn't lose the cake itself!!

Anyhow! So that explains the rough ... well ... "rough" on my golf cake icon_smile.gif. Non-caking people totally didn't get it that my heart almost stopped, but thanks for letting me tell you guys about it icon_smile.gif.

1 reply
cylstrial Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 2

Oh gosh! That would be awful! I'm glad that you caught the problem and were able to take care of the cake. It sounds like you're in the market for a new turntable. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%