Am I Crazy? Like Mmf Not Satin Ice

Business By Cascades Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm by cookie_fun

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 26

Ok-so I took a class once and asked the instructor if she made her own fondant. To which she answered "no and we don't mill our own flour either". I laughed and started thinking yeah it's a big pain in the ... to make the MMF.

I went and bought three buckets of Satin Ice and used it for some of my cakes this summer. Here's the thing, when I ran out of the Satin Ice, I made some MMF and I actually loved it for decorating! MMF was so much easier (for me anyway) to work with and my cakes looked so much better.

Is it just me? Is it the Satin Ice? ( I see so many decorators on TV working with it) Or should I try another fondant? What do you think.

25 replies
BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 26

I've used Satin Ice on two occasions and although it tastes good I do not like the way it handles. It cracks a lot and seems to dry out too much. I definately prefer mmf all the way, and the best part is the savings over buying fondant! Have you tried the using the strawberry marshmellows...YUMMY!!!!!!!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 26

I am not a fan of satin ice. I have tried the mmf and I love it for the kids cakes I make but for the adults they find it way too sweet, so I have developed a fondness for MFF. Funny how different so many people are! I have to try the strawberry marshmellows though...they do sound yummy!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 26

I've never used Satin Ice. I've used MMF with good results, but I love the feel of MFF. It's extremely easy to make and wonderful to work with.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie13

I am not a fan of . I have tried the mmf and I love it for the kids cakes I make but for the adults they find it way too sweet, so I have developed a fondness for MFF. Funny how different so many people are! I have to try the strawberry marshmellows though...they do sound yummy!

What is MFF?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 26

Michelle Foster's Fondant. The recipe is here, on CC.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 26

Definitely has a LOT to do with personal preference. I've tried the Satin Ice and it was nice to work with, the taste was fine, but I much prefer the taste of MMF. And I prefer working with it as well. But then I've got a major sweet tooth as do most of the adults in my family. I do not care for MFF, just do NOT like the taste and texture, although it was fine to work with. One family member prefers the Satin Ice and so I'll get it for them, but for the rest of us it's MMF!!

Just depends on what people like tastewise and what suits their work style, weather conditions, etc.

This is one reason I love CC! You have so many people with different likes, dislikes etc. that it's possible to get numerous points of view on a subject. That is sooo helpful!!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 26

I love the MMF also. I have looked everywhere for the strawberry marshmallows and the chocolate also (I know I've seen them before) and can not for the life of me find them. Where do yall buy them at? I am in southeast louisiana if anyone around here knows.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 26

I have been using a fondant that I mix 1/2 and 1/2. 1/2 Satin Ice fondant with 1/2 Michelle Fosters homemade fondant. I've really liked it so far. Not to dry and not to stretchy! Just knead the two together. It's sort of like a Satin Ice fondant extender.

I'll call it Coco's Mix Fondant.
(Coco's Mix Fondant) icon_smile.gif I like that! icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 26

I have used Satin Ice and didn't care for it either. I haven't tried MMF (I don't care for marshmallows, so I don't think I'll care for it). I use FondX brand. It is way easier to work with than Satin Ice in my opinion, and tastes much better as well. Just throwing that out in case you guys want to try it.

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 26

I use MMF. It is super easy to make and not expensive. I am dying to make the MMF with strawberry marshmallows, but I have boys so I haven't had the chance to make a pink cake.

I teach Wilton classes in Colorado and I always give my MMF recipe to my students. We use it to cover our cakes in class and the yucky W****n for the figures, etc.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

I love the MMF also. I have looked everywhere for the strawberry marshmallows and the chocolate also (I know I've seen them before) and can not for the life of me find them. Where do yall buy them at? I am in southeast louisiana if anyone around here knows.

Do you have Target stores there? That is where I buy mine. I think Publix sells them as well.

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #13 of 26

i have never made mmf is it easy

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #14 of 26

MMF is real easy to make. And no, your not crazy, cause I love it. I like the cheap cost, great taste, and the ease of use. I also just made MFF the same time as a batch of MMF. I still liked the MMF better. MFF was just real hard to work with.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbugcreations

i have never made mmf is it easy

There are mmf as well as other fondant recipes in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #16 of 26

I just tried MFF the other day for the first time, had been using MMF for my cookies for quite awhile. I am with badkitty on the taste and mouth feel of MFF, I really did not care for it, but the texture and pliability made it nice to work with.

I also made a batch of MMF, just in case I did not like the MFF. In order not to waste the MFF, I mixed the MMF and the MFF 50/50. It was great, had the mouth feel and taste of MMF and the texture and pliability of MFF.

Next time I have to make fondant, I am going to make both kinds and mix them together while they are still warm. It was time consuming to mix them after they had aged. The two together also make a lot of fondant!

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 26

thank You this is extremely useful. I look forward to sharing and learning more from all of you on cake central.

thanks
Kerri

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #18 of 26

I must be the odd man out, but I only use MMF as a last resort. The very small savings IMO is not worth the mess or the unpredictability of the outcome. I much prefer SatinIce or FondX.

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #19 of 26

I think it must be an individual thing. I always get the same results with Macsmom MMF. Some people always get inconsistent results though. Thats why I say try different ones, cause for someone reason not everyone gets the same results.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:00am
post #20 of 26

I must of done something wrong I found the MMF to be kind of thick and a pain in the rump to make.....I like the reg. homemade fondant recipe that I found in a book.....granted so far I've only used it twice, but I still like it better. Did I do something wrong with MMF for it to be so thick?

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #21 of 26

Not sure. Maybe too much powdered sugar.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2ThreeBoys

I must of done something wrong I found the MMF to be kind of thick and a pain in the rump to make.....I like the reg. homemade fondant recipe that I found in a book.....granted so far I've only used it twice, but I still like it better. Did I do something wrong with MMF for it to be so thick?

If it gets too thick you can either heat it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds (watch out for hot spots inside the fondant!) or you can add a bit of crisco. I add a bit of crisco to my fondant before I even start working with it, it seems to make it easier to work with. HTH icon_smile.gif

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #23 of 26

I'll have to give it another try, thanks so much for the tips!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedbyLisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

Do you have Target stores there? That is where I buy mine. I think Publix sells them as well.

I know it has been forever since you replied, sorry. I have checked three different Targets and they only carry the white of the assorted fruit colored mm's. We don't have Publix, thanks for the response anyhow.

I'll keep looking.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #25 of 26

I tried Satin Ice once because I need black. I really didin't like it and it's not that easy to just run out and get another brand where I am. It cracked and wrinkled when it dried, and I didn't care for the taste.

I finally found my groove with MMF and I love it. It's cheap, it's easy, and I can flavor it however I want it. I haven't had any problems working with it. If it's a little stiff then I just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and it's fine. I also tend to make mine a few days before I need it so it can sit.

Everyone raved about MFF so I tried it too, but it just took me too long and in the end it got to stiff to even use. The MMF recipe that I use takes me about 10 minutes start to clean up to make a batch.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #26 of 26

I tried to make MMF twice, and both times I ended up with an unusable mess. I know I'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what. I would love to get it to work for me sometime. I'll have to try again.

I did recently use chocopan and it was delicious. As I'm not a pro at using fondant of any kind, I can't tell you if it was good or bad to use. My only comparison is to Wilton fondant, and that's really not a realistic comparison at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%