Having Trouble With Fondant

Decorating By maliss Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 5:22am by LaBellaFlor

maliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maliss Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me why my fondant might be coming out bumpy down the sides after I cover my cakes. I was told that the way your cake looks when it is covered in icing is the way it will look after covered with fondant. I take time to make sure it is iced perfectly, but I'm still having this problem. I'm using Satin Ice fondant in case that has anything to do with it.
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. It's very frustrating.

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 6

sounds like maybe it the filling oozing out? a stiff dam around the cake before you put in the filling should help. and letting the cake settle before fondanting.
xx

maliss Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 6

I put a dam of buttercream, but I don't know how "stiff" it is. Could that be the problem? I just use the same texture as what I'm icing with (medium consistency). I do let the cake sit overnight before covering with fondant too.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

thats not stiff enough, it needs to be really stiff. i dont actually do this, but i think the general idea is so thick you can almost model it into a ball with your hands.
xx

maliss Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your help brincess_b. I didn't know that. I'll give that a try and maybe that will solve my problems.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:22am
post #6 of 6

My dam is SMBC, and that is hardly a stiff buttercream. You may just be putting too much filling. Mine is about 1/2" thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%