Dump Truck Cake With Lifting Back.

Decorating By emily6 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm by LittleLinda

emily6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emily6 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 3

For my nephews first birthday I am going to attempt to make a dump truck cake similar to one that I found on the internet

I'm not sure how to tilt the back though. I Really really do not want it to slip off. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 3

look closely at the picture -- see the two dowels stuck into the cake that are holdinb up the back (look under the n and the a).

so it doesn't slip off:

get a sheet cake cake board that is 2x long at least as the length of the bed.

trim to width of truck along the LONG dimension. (so if start with a 12x18 board, and truck is 8" wide, trim so it is 8x1icon_cool.gif

fold board in half on itself long dimension ( so that 8x18 now is 8x9)

trim to length of bed -- keeping the fold (lets say that is 7" - so now trim the folded board to 8x7 folded in half, and 8x14 opened)

lay board on top of bottom tier that has wheels with fold at back end of truck

open it up (half will be hanging off the back of the truck)

impale the half on the tier near the front with the support dowels running them all the way down to the main base -- this will help lock the board in place.

now fold other half back onto the dowels.

slather the top with a good stiff buttercream -- the glue to hold the layer of cake in place.

lay on the decorated layer that is raised bed

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 3

If you want to deviate a bit from the cake you're copying, I made one before using chocolate covered doughnuts for the wheels. It was cute. Look at some of the dump trucks in the gallery to give yourself some other ideas.

Here's my truck: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=179363

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%