Getting A Really Dark Brown Chocolate Smbc?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm by -K8memphis

drakegore Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 12

my chocolate smbc (using melted semi-sweet) is always a light brown.
when i try americolor chocolate brown, it just ends up looking like a warmer version of the light brown....still light and a little purplish to boot.
...and by the time i get to that point i have put buckets (ok, maybeeeee not buckets, but whole bunches for sure, lol) of color in and i don't like what it does to my buttercream.
is there a better way or color i should be using to get a dark rich cocoa color in my chocolate smbc?
(i watched tonedna's video on the subject but the maroon color she uses is nowhere on the web to be found anymore).

should i just give up and make a powdered sugar buttercream to get the dark color i need? i really want to use smbc...but i have to make a dark brown volcano cake (aaaargh).

11 replies
itscake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 12

Have you tried to use bittersweet bakers chocolate? always works for luck thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 12

While buttercream in nice, why not just make a traditional chocolate frosting? They always turn out a nice mud brown.

drakegore Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 12

hi itscake - no, i haven't tried baker's. i have been using plain old nestle semi-sweet chips. they don't seem that different in color. but you get a dark chocolate color in your smbc when you use the bakers? how much do you use?

hi matthewkyrankelly - when you say traditional chocolate frosting are you talking about a powdered sugar/butter/chocolate frosting?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #5 of 12

yeah - something like off of hershey's. A good old after school sort of frosting.

drakegore Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 12

that is a good option, thank you icon_smile.gif.
i would love to use my smbc but if i cannot get it the right color than i will go this route.
thank you,

-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 12

Just a thought--airbrushing it darker perhaps?

Even if you don't have one:

I tried one of those things you can get at a paint store that they used on tv at Christopher Garren's cake place It's only like fifteen dollars ish and you can spray 'paint' with it. Forgot the name of 'em...umm...lemme go's called a Preval.

On the dark side smbc idea for you.

drakegore Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12

hi k8!
would the color dry on smbc since no crusting? i would love to try that icon_smile.gif.
this darn volcano is going to age me....

-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 12

I air brush my smbc all the time but I haven't used the spray Preval dealio on smbc itself. I mean it probably needs to be brown anyhow then take it down to a darker color with the paint. They are fun to play with anyhow.

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 12

Quality of chocolates very so even though they are both semi-sweet they will vary in color and taste. I would try Ghiradelli's bittersweet chocolate.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 12

K8, what kind of paint store and about what location are those spray things. I've seen him use them and have asked with no response. 'Cause I can't afford an airbrush system yet but soooo want one

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 12

I just placed a couple calls to local paint stores--I did not try the big box home improvement stores but they probably have 'em--went to Farrell Calhoun--they had the sprayer and the little bottles that hold your medium that you attach to the sprayer and it couldn't have been easier.

What I was doing was providing myself with a back up in case my airbrush pooped out on me. I teted it with the liquid pearl product you can get now. Worked great. I thinned it with some everclear--nice.

Just read the instructions--easy peasy--I really liked it.

And I saw on ebay or somewhere a bunch of bottles for sale--if you got those you could make & then store you colors to use for future. Because you probably want to use a touch of thinner (alcohol) in the air brush paints--maybe maybe not again I tested the pearly stuff--but oh yeah if memory serves each canister will spray out a total of 16 ounces of whatever paint medium you are using.

So for under twenny (sic) bucks that's a pretty good deal.

And you're gonna get a spray--like spray paint--not like fine lines like you can adjust an airbrush to produce. But I mean you could block off areas of cake to spray that spot & nowhere else so you could get more detail that way too.

For example if you needed to spray an american flag--you could cut out the different stars and stripes and just keep spraying and re-arranging them to get the desired effect. Lots more work but just an idea.
Sprayer thoughts for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%