How Do You Use A Heating Core?

Decorating By cbearsmom_07 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 6:50am by Cake_Princess

cbearsmom_07 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to doing larger cakes and I will be making a 10" round. Can someone please explain to me how the heating core works? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

5 replies
tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

I use a greased flower nail(s) - the number I use depends on the size of the cake. Leaves a smaller hole than a core.

PuffCake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 6

I use a greased and floured flower nail also. Works great!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

The heating core works as a mini pan in the center of your larger cakes. The heat to bake a cake enters the cake on all exposed sides: top, bottom, and four sides. The metal conducts the heat better than the air, so the top cooks a little slower than the sides and bottom. So, the edges cook more quickly than the center. This is why cakes dome so much.

A heating core is greased and filled just like the pan it will be placed in. The extra metal in the center of the pan conducts heat more readily allowing the center to cook at a rate similar to the rest of the cake. When the cake is done, the little cake inside the core can be fitted in the larger cake.

Many people, including myself, solve the same problem by using an inverted flower nail in the center of the large cake pan. Insulation strips can slow down edge baking to help further.

Cake_Princess Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:50am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearsmom_07

I'm new to doing larger cakes and I will be making a 10" round. Can someone please explain to me how the heating core works? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

Grease and flour your cake pan as you normally would. Take the heating core and do the same inside and out. Place the heating core in The center of the pan. Add your batter to the pan. Then place some batter into the heating core to create your plug. You will need to fill the heating core about halfway or a bit under. You won't need a lot of batter in it because it's so narrow. When you cake has cooled a bit after baking, pop the heating core out and put your cake on the cooling rack. When you begin to ice the cake just add a small amount of icing around the hole and pop the plug in and trim.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%