Luau Smash Cake Idea?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 6

Making a 2 tier luau theme first birthday cake. Bottom tier will be pink with a gumpaste lei made of pink, orange and yellow hibiscus around the bottom. On the side of the tier will be the babies name. The top tier will be done in sand color with waves around the bottom. On the top of the cake, I made a baby in a pink bikini. She will be under a palm tree. Brown sugar for sand....also made small flipflops, and flipflops. My dilema, I have no idea for the smash cake. I do know that it will be done in butterceam to make it easy for my neice to "smash". Any ideas will help......thanks to all

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

How about a mini pineapple? Bake a mini doll skirt or large cupcake (upside down). Spatula stripe yellow, light brown, and green in you bag and cover it w/a large star tip. Stiffen b'cream to pipe large leaves at top.
I have a pic in my photos to see. There are 3 of them on top of a 10" round.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 6

i do like the pineapple idea. i though just a flower - nice and easy, just piped on top.
xx

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

or a coconut with the mini wonder!... for my luau order i did a sun as the smash cake, again with the mini wonder!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 6

I recently did a luau cake with a smash cake; it's in my photos if you want to see it.. has hibiscus all around both tiers, and the smash cake is in the additional photos... hth

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas.....I still wasn't sure what to do until I was frosting the cakes and I tinted the BC pink for the smash cake, why? Im not sure, but then it hit me. Yhe baby I made fom gumpaste had a pink bikini and a pink sun hat on. So, I decided to do a pink sunhat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%