Fondant Issues

Decorating By cakesrpretty Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm by cakesrpretty

cakesrpretty Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3 tier wedding cake and each tiers is 4-5" high. Last night I put a thick layer of buttercream and then the fondant, it looked awful, fondant looked like it was sagging.

Here is what I have come up with. I have no air conditioning and the fondant was sitting in my dining room in pails all week. This week has been hot. Could the heat have done something funny to the fondant? It was soft. I have Mccalls (which is normally soft but this was even softer) and I have satin ice (which I have never used before but I thought it would be not as soft as it was).
What can I do with the fondant now that it has been in the heat?
Also, My buttercream is soft. It isn't wilton but isn't IMBC either. I put icing sugar in a bowl, add hot water which melts the sugar, then add crisco and butter and whip it for 15 minutes and it doubles in quantity. It is a nice soft buttercream. Could the buttercream I am using be the problem with sagging as well? I always but a thick layer.

Tonight I have 3 cakes at home, they have no buttercream on them yet. I need to buttercream and fondant the cakes tonight. Any suggestions? What if I buttercream and then put in the fridge for it to harden and then fondant?

Thanks in advance for the for the help anyone can give.

P.S. I have done many fondant cakes in the past with this buttercream and mcalls fondant and never had a problem. But, it wasn't hot!!!

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 5

if you were following the same procedures with the same materials as before, then yes, id say the heat has been a problem.
i think that once the fondant cools down, it will go back to normal - but im not sure.
id say your problems sound more like warm bc than warm fondant though, the bc going soft has moved the fondant/ not supported the weight, so a thinner layer of bc might help.
putting the crumb coated cake in the fridge will help it to be firmer for the fondant, but once its back to room temp, you might still have problems - and you could refridgerate the finished cake, but then some people get issues with the fondant.

MissRobin Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 5

Try sticking you cake in the freezer for about 8 minutes (according to Sharon), and then take it out moisten with damp paper towel or mist and then apply fondant. Don't leave it in too long or you will have problems. Also, if you roll your fondant too thick your going to have issues. Some where between 1/8 to 1/4 is good. Be sure and smooth it good getting excess down to bottom of cake and trimming off otherwise you might end up with excess at the bottom after it settles a bit. Just takes practice, and we all have problems believe me!!! Keep trying you will get it!

Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

No air conditioning? I couldn't live like that!

cakesrpretty Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope all goes well tonighticon_smile.gif
I can put my finished caek in the fridge and then to the air conditioned car for delivery and then to the air conditioned hopefully as long as I can get the fondant on okay....all will go well.

I usually put a thick coat of buttercream so you cant see "stripes" where the filling is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%