How Do I Get Sharp Corners With Fondant?

Decorating By ILoveCake33 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm by josumiko

ILoveCake33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveCake33 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I am so glad I found it!

Anyhow, my burning question is this: how can i get nice, sharp corners when I cover my cake with fondant? I usually ice in buttercream (sometimes I use ganache) and let the cake sit in the freezer for a little while. My fondant covering always comes out smooth, but now I want to sharpen those corners as much as possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 7

fondant cakes usually have soft corners, its in their nature. but to get them more square...
you need properly squared pans - some are not properly square on the edges.
then properly squared and firm coating of ganache or bc.
then be very gentle with your fondant.
use two smothers to quare up the corners.
and you have done as much as you can!
xx

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

Use ganache instead of bc to ice your cake before covering with fondant. Ganache sets up hard so you can make sharp corners and edges. If you don't have or don't want ganache, use a stiff, crusting bc.

When you cover with fondant, crimp the edges by pinching lightly with your fingers then use two smoothers to sharpen the crease and smooth the fondant.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

Whenever you can invest in Sharon Zambito's instructional dvd at sugaredproductions.com . Don't mean to sound like a comercial but it made a world of difference in my fondant work ( and it already wasn't half bad If I may say so myself icon_wink.gif ) I also have the buttercream one and it also made a huge difference for me. You get to see hands on how to work it and lots of tips for diffrent shapes.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 7

I'll second the referral to Sharon's videos. Her fondant DVD shows how to achieve exactly what you are asking. She walks you through it step-by-step.

ILoveCake33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveCake33 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! Thank you for all of the great tips!

I've been meaning to get my hands on Sharon Zambito's DVDs for a while now. I watched the clips on youtube and that alone helped me to improve.

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

There is a good video on youtube about covering a cake in fondant and getting crisp edges. I want to say it was a planetcakes video...be warned you will be shocked at how the girl handles the fondant! I hope to one day be that confident in handling fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%