Clay Face Mold At Michaels - Have You Try This?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm by superstar

ZlatkaT Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

I saw at Michaels (clay dept.) molds for faces, and was thinking to purchase it and try it with gumpaste. I would love to learn how to do figures and animals (they have animals too). BUT the mold is plastic, and look cheap to me. Have any of you used this??? Any good results?

13 replies
auntginn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 14

Have not seen them but I usually use silicone molds for the faces. Bit pricey but they keep the shape which is important.

teenycakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 14

I purchased the Sweetbriar mold with the women's faces and the baby face on it. I washed it thoroughly and let it dry completely. I loved using the baby face as the center of a fondant daisy, it was adorable.

I've also used the small textured mats that Hobby Lobby sells in the clay section to add texture to fondant and they work well too.

Good luck,

Teenycakes

auntginn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 14

Sounds adorable, do you have a pic. Would love to see it.

crazydoglady Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 14

i recently bought the clay mold that has faces of different sizes - some were round and some more oval shaped. it cost $5-$6.

it is a rubbery plastic.

i've tried gumpaste and chocolate fondant and have had beautiful results.

i think they would be pretty as the center of a fantasy flower and am experimenting with it.

msulli10 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 14

teenycakes I would love to see this too. I have to make a Ann Geddes themed cake and need to put a baby face in a sunflower. Did you buy the Sweetbriar mold at Michael's??

PuffCake Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 14

I made a fairy for my daughter's birthday cake using silicone molds. I bought the head mold in the clay aisle at Hobby Lobby and the hand/feet mold in the clay aisle at Michael's. I used 50/50 MMF/Gumpaste and it worked really well. The instructions suggested putting the mold with your "clay" inside in the freezer for about 30 seconds to help it come out of the mold cleanly and that tip worked really well. The mold helped me get the right size for the head as well as imprinting subtle markings on the face which helped in the painting of her face. Unfortunately, I haven't uploaded that picture yet so I can't show you, but I was pleased with how it turned out. Good Luck!

ZlatkaT Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 14

Thank you, I am sure going to purchase the mold, just wanted to check with you.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #9 of 14

I buy most of my cutters and molds from the clay department. They are usually much cheaper. You can allso check out the soap molds.

Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #10 of 14

Yep. Any of the molds in the clay aisle of hobby stores work well with gumpaste or gumpste/fondant mixture. I dust them with corn starch and they work beautifully. There is an abundance of great things to be found in the clay aisle! I have fantastic clay imprint mats, tools, cutters, molds --all from just that one section!

luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #11 of 14

Hi I use alot of the molds from the clay and soap area I also use alot of or should I say all of my candy molds as well I always dust well with cornstarch.

Thanks
Kerri

teenycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 14

Msulli10 & Auntginn,

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a pic of some I just made today. I tried to attach a pic, but it was too many pixels for the system.

Have a great weekend,

Teenycakes

teenycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 14

I resized my pic and I think it will attach this time. Sorry the pic is not so clear, but I think you'll get the general idea.

Teenycakes
LL

superstar Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 14

I have all the clay soft rubber molds, they are great, I also recently bought a lot of the clay books which are fabulous. I used the 'Tropical' molds on some cupcakes in my photos, they were fun & easy to use, in those I used chocolate clay & then they were painted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%