White Cake Mix In Melbourne??

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm by luna_star

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:37am
post #1 of 27

Does anyone know where i can get the Betty Crocker White cake mix (or another brand) for WASC in Melbourne Australia or even if not in melb a particular supermarket you go to i might have in melb? i can't find it anywhere! just find the vanilla one....can u even get it over here?

26 replies
Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:38am
post #2 of 27

I don't think I have ever seen it?? They do make vanilla but I don't think I have seen 'white' cake mix. Is it like white chocolate mud?

Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:45am
post #3 of 27

well it's similar to the vanilla cake but without the strong vanilla flavouring and is alot whiter

I bought the vanilla before and tried it with the WASC but the vanilla flavour took over too much so i really want to find the white cake mix but i have a feeling you can only get it in the US icon_sad.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:57am
post #4 of 27

I think you might be right, I have never even seen it in the cake decorating stores. Sorry ouch.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:59am
post #5 of 27

Have you tried USA Foods in Moorabbin? Their website does not have the Betty Crocker cake but you could try calling them to find out. Sometimes they have stuff in the store but not on their website.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/contact.php.

When I make the WASC, I use the Green Vanilla cake mix and it turns out pretty good. The Greens cake mix is 470g but the Betty Crocker is 540g so I add an extra cup of plain flour to make up the difference.

Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:07am
post #6 of 27

Thanks, ok well if they don't have them i do have a scratch recipe to use which i am happy using icon_smile.gif Just wanted to try the doctored box version with the white cake to see the difference and see what it tasted like

BarbaraK Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:45am
post #7 of 27

I'll check in my local supermarkets and let you know if I find any Betty Crockers. icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 27

thanks thumbs_up.gif

luna_star Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luna_star Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 27

I haven't seen it around here either. Maybe you could call General Mills Australia (who make Betty Crocker products) - their number is 1800 888 484. icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 27

Like BarbaraK, my only idea would be to get in touch with usafoods.com.au

Personally I prefer baking from scratch but I understand that you want to do a taste comparison.
icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #11 of 27

yeh me too, i prefer to bake from scratch but would like to try a doctored mix just to see if it's worth doing some more if i want to save egg whites lol I sometimes find packet mixes a too sweet for me but keen to see if the white cake might not be the same.

Also i have another question to pop in if no one minds....many many years ago i was told there was a product available that was in a carton or something in the supermarkets that was JUST eggwhites to use...any one remember that or know if they still have it around? Tried looking but once again i can't see it

BarbaraK Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #12 of 27

Would it be Pavolva Magic that you are referring to? I think it comes in an egg-shaped package.

Elise87 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:03am
post #13 of 27

no it's not that, it's actually proper egg whites i think, althought i do use the pavalova magic as a substitute for meringue powder in RI icon_smile.gif

BarbaraK Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:17am
post #14 of 27

Can't remember ever seeing something like that. BTW, I checked my local supermarkets and they do not stock the Betty Crocker White Cake mix.

Elise87 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:19am
post #15 of 27

that's alright, and thank-u for taking the time to look icon_smile.gif

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:38am
post #16 of 27

I buy the egg white frozen from Bi-Lo in Brisbane.

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:32am
post #17 of 27

Costco have just opened in Melbourne.
Might be worth a try - if you want to brave the crowds!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 27

This is weird but there's a cake mix brand from Australia that I can get here in the Philippines. It's called White Wings and they have all sorts of cake mixes.

www.whitewings.com.au

luna_star Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazysuze

Hehehe I was silly enough to go last Sunday morning and there were thousands of people there. I didn't see all of it because I was getting very claustrophobic.

I did come home with a massive squeeze bottle of vanilla bean paste, 6kg of SR flour and 12.5kgs of icing sugar though! icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #20 of 27

1. that's what it was, frozen egg whites! Bi-lo has been fazed out where i live so i got coles or woolworths but i shall go look in the freezer section anyway.

2. Yes i have heard about costco! but it's all the way in the city and that's a long trip just for that so there no point in really bothering with the membership

3. Yeh i see white wings all the time and use it sometimes but never seen a white cake one

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_star

Quote:

Hehehe I was silly enough to go last Sunday morning and there were thousands of people there. I didn't see all of it because I was getting very claustrophobic.

I did come home with a massive squeeze bottle of vanilla bean paste, 6kg of SR flour and 12.5kgs of icing sugar though! icon_biggrin.gif

wow to the crowds and wow to the amount of icing sugar!!!! That is handy with the larger amounts when u need to use it all the time but that's still huge, i wouldn't have room to store it! lol

luna_star Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #22 of 27

I just had a look at the White Wings website that they don't make a white cake mix either. I've never seen it here in Oz - I just don't think it is something they make here.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #23 of 27

Just chooffed off and googled this for you Elise -

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.goldeneggs.com.au/product_range/cutting_edge_image.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.goldeneggs.com.au/product_range/cutting_edge.html&usg=__CQEHLa_5r1j9ERsCOLk6YVhctlc=&h=286&w=281&sz=42&hl=en&start=8&sig2=KZZKAp4u0_YX30VmSUvjuA&tbnid=gmRG9XgsK66WEM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Degg%2Bwhites%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=w9-VSq3PKoLUsgOkx8maDA

Good god - didn't know the link was going to be thattttttt long - icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif
Its Golden Eggs - and they have frozen egg whites in the carton - keeps frozen for up to 2 years - or thawed and in your fridge for 4 days.

I also remember years ago seeing it in the VEGAN area of a supermarket -

Now about the WHITE cake mixes - I googled the Betty Crocxker web site -
Phoned the 1800 number and spoke to a NON BAKER - icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif
Who suggested i add more icing sugar to a Vanilla Cake mix - tapedshut.gif

ANYWAYYYYYYY i scrolled down to the bottom of the home page and clicked on *contact us*

Sent off an email asking WHY CAN'T WE HAVE IT ON OUR SHELVES OVER HERE?

Perhaps if those of you reading this thread - do the same - as many voices make a differance - we just might see it on our shelves one day-
We will never know if we don't ask - well thats my theory - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Here is the site - http://www.bettycrocker.com/newsletters.htm

HAAAAAAAAAA - sounds like a WHITE CAKE MIX revolt -
Send those emails ladies - and it just might *come to a supermarket near you* - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:12am
post #24 of 27

Oh awesome thanks for a name for the egg white brand Bluehue! I was having trouble searching coles online for it and they were saying it doesn't exist but i tried it again through another search thing on the website and i found them! woo hoo just gotta go down it see if my stores have it.

And adding icing sugar to the vanilla cake mix? icon_confused.gif What, just to get it more white or something? and then wouldn't that make it alot more sweeter then they are at the moment, i wouldn't be able to eat it!

Yep let's start a petition bring white cake mix to australia icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:36am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Oh awesome thanks for a name for the egg white brand Bluehue! I was having trouble searching coles online for it and they were saying it doesn't exist but i tried it again through another search thing on the website and i found them! woo hoo just gotta go down it see if my stores have it.
Excellant - thumbs_up.gif
if they don't stock it, then google egg whites Ausytalia
and then click on *images* and all the different cartons will come up -
Then click on some and see if they are supermmarkets/outlets in your area.

And adding icing sugar to the vanilla cake mix? icon_confused.gif What, just to get it more white or something? and then wouldn't that make it alot more sweeter then they are at the moment, i wouldn't be able to eat it!

Like i said above - i spoke to a *non baker* - icon_rolleyes.gif

She also asked - *wellll have you got anything else *white* that you can add to a Vanilla or Yellow Mix, like extra icing sugar.
No - was my reply - THATS WHY WE WANT THE WHITE BOX MIX - Just adding more icing sugar won't make it white - it will just make it
a gluggy mess - icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.giftapedshut.gif

Recieved an auto reply saying that *they* will email me back as soon as possible with a response to my email request... thumbs_up.gif

Yep let's start a petition bring white cake mix to australia icon_biggrin.gif
INDEED - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Let us join the *sister* bakers around the world and produce a *white* cake -
icon_redface.gif - and all the male bakers of course. -

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:10am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna_star

Quote:

Did you notice if they had any large bags of chocolate? I use loads for ganache and always on the lookout for something cheaper.

luna_star Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #27 of 27

No I didn't see any but then again I missed about half of what was there because of the crowds. I'll let you know what I find when I (am brave enough to) go back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%