Working With Fondant And Gumpaste

Decorating By Lisa1050 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 2:57am by Lisa1050

Lisa1050 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 7

Can someone enlighten me? Where or how did all of you learn to work with fondant and gumpaste. I am referring to the tiny babies and teddy bears or the little blankets with the patterns on them. I also saw a baby cake in the galleries, the sides of the cake had a diamond pattern, is this done by hand or do you roll the design on? I've looked at the different forums but I don't see too many instructions for the real beginners. HELP! I really want to learn to perfect what little skill I have so far, but I don't know where to go from here! Thanks

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 7

Some things are done with molds, like the really realistic tiny babies. Anine2 has a great tutorial for the fondant teddy bear. http://www.howcast.com/videos/807-How-To-Make-a-Miniature-Teddy-Bear-With-Fondant
Little blankets are easy, just use a toothpick or tiny flower cutter to press a pattern into the fondant.

The diamond pattern can be done with an impression mat or with a ruler, a bench scraper and a lot of patience.

There are some really good fondant books out there...I like the Debbie Brown books because she has good, clear instructions for making figures and also shows how to make all kinds of shaped cakes without buying a bunch of pans.

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 7

There are tons of tutorials on-line, books, dvd's and classes that will teach/show you how to do these. If you check the articles section of this site you will see tutorials, youtube has tons and tons of how to's (look for video's by cc member aine2, she shows you how to make all kinds of things out of gp, like trees, puppies, teddies etc. You can also check her website she has some online tutorials that you can purchase and download immediately. The price's are approx $6-10 with exchange). For books try Debbie Brown she does all kinds of characters - check out her website or look on amazon for books, or your local library. You can also look for books and tutorials in polymer clay. For the diamond pattern some people use impression mats, some do it by hand and others use diamond cutters.

Here are some links to start you off:
Aine2 youtube videos (26 in all) - she has a link to her website from here as well:

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 7

Looks like we had a lot of the same ideas Texas_Rose. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Looks like we had a lot of the same ideas Texas_Rose. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We sure did icon_biggrin.gif

raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 7

Books at the library have helped me a bunch, you get a ton of ideas and if you looove the book then you buy it, or photocopy the pages you want and make your own guide. I have one for recipes and another one for tutorials/guides with all the things that I like and want to try. And of course this site is the best!! I have learned more here than in any course (and I've taken a lot)

Lisa1050 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so, so much! I feel so much better now that I feel I have a starting point! Your all amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%