Should I Take The Job!?!

Business By beautifulbutterfly Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 1:11am by alanaj

beautifulbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautifulbutterfly Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 17

Ok so I'm sixteen and used to have a mini cake business where I just sold some birthday cakes and such to people I knew. Well this girl I know called me this morning and asked me to do her wedding cake in July. It's a very simple wedding cake but I'm worried i don't have enough experience and will mess it up. My mom says if i'm gonna do it then I should take a cake decorating class and get back into the whole cake business thing. It's my junior year of high school so i'm gonna be juggling alot of stuff. What should I do?!

this is the website for the cake she wants. it's the same cake just the ribbons will be brown and there won't be any flowers

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4481804/39441-main_Full.jpg

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 17

Yes--do it!

Next July--you won't be in school will yah?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 17

If there were a lot of piping or diffivult techniques I would say no, but the design looks simple enough. I say go for it!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 17

My 1st tiered cake was when I was 17. My 1st fondsnt covered cake was also when I was 17. Those were not my 1st cakes, just the 1st more difficult ones. I say go for it. Study, study, study. Research, research, research. Don't come on here and ask for step by step directions. Its just not the same as researching it in books and being able to read it for yourself. Its always nice to have something on hand to reference to. If you come across a problem, come on here and ask for advice. I say GO FOR IT! thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 17

If you do decided to do it also look on youtube for video's on how to cover cakes with fondant if you have not done any already etc they will be really helpful

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 17

I agree. Go for it. You have plenty of time to practice between now and then. I wouldn't take a decorating class just for that cake, unless you have a good fondant class nearby. Most decorating classes focus more on piping techniques etc. that you will not need for this cake. Although I suppose they are good skills to have (I don't do any buttercream only cakes, so I wouldn't know... lol)

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:53am
post #7 of 17

Do it!! Practice a couple of fondant covered cakes before hand.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 17

I totally agree with Labella...take some classes, read some how to books (for free at the library)...and practice. Sometimes when you ask a question there will be 100 different answers. That is because everyone has their own spin on things. You already have experience and your own style...

beautifulbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautifulbutterfly Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:50am
post #9 of 17

Thanks guys I think I think I'm gonna do it. Um how much do you think I should charge her?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #10 of 17

$4 a serving plus delivery for straight up buttercream filled fondant covered normal cake. Nothing gourmet no fancy fillings no refrigeration to control spoilage issues. That means no cream cheese no fruit no mousses etc.

Unless you want to tackle those issues on your first order. And you are willing to invest in the supplies and practice it several times well before the wedding.

Just to put this in perspective say she needs 150 servings --that's gonna be $600 plus delivery. Wedding cakes are big game -- not for pea-shooters. Not for the faint of heart.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 17

Hee, hee love the "not for the faint of heart" K8. I agree. Go in with full confidence like ya know whatcha do'en!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 17

i would totally do it because it's a very simple design and i think it'd be great to get your big "first wedding" out of the way while you're still young.

not to start anything, i'm genuinly curious (i'm not trying to tell the OP not to do it, because frankly, as i said, i would do it anyway -- especially for a friend), but i have to ask something to the elders here: why not bring up licensing and being legal? i mean, i know she's only 16, but she's still getting paid for the order? and she did have a "mini cake business". maybe because she's only doing it for friends/family? actually, i'm thinking i just answered my own question, so nevermind icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i would totally do it because it's a very simple design and i think it'd be great to get your big "first wedding" out of the way while you're still young.

not to start anything, i'm genuinly curious (i'm not trying to tell the OP not to do it, because frankly, as i said, i would do it anyway -- especially for a friend), but i have to ask something to the elders here: why not bring up licensing and being legal? i mean, i know she's only 16, but she's still getting paid for the order? and she did have a "mini cake business". maybe because she's only doing it for friends/family? actually, i'm thinking i just answered my own question, so nevermind icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not a legalist. In other words I don't draw real hard & fast lines for others. She didn't ask about legalities. I draw a big fat line for myself though. To me it's just doing a cake for a friend.

icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

To me it's just doing a cake for a friend.

icon_biggrin.gif

that's what i was assuming. icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:56pm
post #15 of 17

I agree, do it, you have a lot of time to practice

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:49am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

To me it's just doing a cake for a friend.

icon_biggrin.gif

that's what i was assuming. icon_smile.gif

And getting paid handsomely for it. icon_biggrin.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #17 of 17

Beautiful cake and good for you! Do it! That's how I got into cake decorating to begin with and although I'm not 16 anymore (sigh) it's never too early (or late) to take on a challenge like this.

I agree with those who have said to take a class and check out youtube but I have to tell you that I've learned more from this site than anywhere else. Since you have lots of time I would also HIGHLY recommend Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant dvd. It'll will save you a ton of time in trial and error. Have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%