You Need This Beater!

Decorating By mrsclox Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm by dutchy1971

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 17

Holy crud I love my new beater! It's a beater and spatula in one! I totally made a batch of icing and cake batter without needing to stop and scrape my bowl. I got mine at a local kitchen store for about $30, but you can also go to www.beaterblade.com and get one for yourself. I LOVE IT!!!
LL

16 replies
evie114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evie114 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 17

I have one of these too! They are the best. I got mine from kitchenkrafts.com. If you bake alot you can't live without this beater!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 17

Hi, May I ask, is this a metal beater? I can not tell if it is metal or a real hard plastic? Also, will it fit ANY mixer? Thank you.Kathy

mrsclox Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 17

it's plastic and there are a few different ones for kitchenaid and viking mixers. You do have to get the right one for your mixer.

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 17

This blade worked beautifully on my 5 qt kitchenaid mixer. Once I upgraded to 6 qt mixer and got the new blade for it.......I was very disappointed. The blade makes noises and just doesn't feel right. Anybod else with the same issues????

mrsclox Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 17

I have the 6 qt and it works great. I assume you adjusted your bowl height...

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 17

i'm interested in this but how do you adjust the bowl height??

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 17

I have this and I LOVE IT! I recommend this to everyone

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 17

I have the side swipe blade and it has a metal center. I dearly love it but you do have to get the right one for your mixer. Just google "sideswipe blade".

mrsclox Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 17

On my 6qt Kitchenaid, there is a screw behind the bowl that adjusts the bowl height. I'm sure every mixer is different though.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you for your info on this. I actually just have a sunbeam mixmaster. I would guess it probably wont work on it then.
Have a wonderful day and thank you again. Kathy

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 17

I was just looking at both brands of blades, Beater Blade and SideSwipe, online at their respective sites and at Amazon. There were only a few user reviews of SideSwipe, but quite a few on the Beater Blade. A few folks had experienced breakage with the Beater Blade, and some claimed damage to their machines and voided warranties.

I am also a member of Cooks Illustrated. They tested both and recommend both, but have a slight preference for the SideSwipe.

Anyone have any issues with their machines as a result of using one of these blades?

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

I was just looking at both brands of blades, Beater Blade and SideSwipe, online at their respective sites and at Amazon. There were only a few user reviews of SideSwipe, but quite a few on the Beater Blade. A few folks had experienced breakage with the Beater Blade, and some claimed damage to their machines and voided warranties.

I am also a member of Cooks Illustrated. They tested both and recommend both, but have a slight preference for the SideSwipe.

Anyone have any issues with their machines as a result of using one of these blades?

I have the beater blade and I think it works great. My machine works great. I have had no problems.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 17

I've had no issues with the side swipe blade on my mixer. They also make them for brands other then kitchen aid.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 17

And I should have asked in prior post:

Do you use the blade for everything? Including fondant, bread dough and heavy cookie dough? The breakage reported on Amazon was mostly with heavy doughs.

mrsclox Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:56am
post #16 of 17

So far I've only used mine on buttercream and cake batter, but I don't think I would trust it on anything too heavy. It's plastic, not metal.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 17

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and I love it. My icing came out so much smoother and nicer using it. I don't use it for fondant or anything heavy I use my dough hook for that. I wouldn't use my metal blade for fondant or bread dough, so certainly wouldn't use a plastic one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%