Mesh On Tennis Shoes

Decorating By j-pal Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 11:30am by Makeitmemorable

j-pal Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,

Does anyone have a good idea or technique for getting the "mesh" look that you see on sneakers? I'm going to be using fondant and I'd really like the shoes to be as realistic as possible, but not sure how to get that look. I've considered piping it on, but that's going to be time-comsuming and when I go to paint it, it's going to break.

Anyone successfully do this before?

Thanks!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 10

What about using a piece of plastic canvas with big holes and just set it on top of the fondant at an angle and roll over it? Then cut out the pieces and put them on the cake in sections.

3GCakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 10

I'd just do it free-hand with a fondant tool.

sweetcakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #4 of 10

for the mesh look on my shoes i took like a tip #5 and imprinted close circles, it kind of looked meshy!!

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

for the mesh look on my shoes i took like a tip #5 and imprinted close circles, it kind of looked meshy!!





Those are some runners sweetcakes. Amazing! icon_smile.gif

BREN28 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 10

i agree sweetcakes,those shoe's are awesome!! of course all your cake's are amazing,but those shoe's... WOW!

jardot22 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 10

Maybe you could use a mesh strainer to imprint the fondant? That might give you a look that's close to what you need..

TwoSweetSisters Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 10

Use an onion sack. You know, the red ones. Cut it open, wash it, let it dry well (don't want water on your fondant.) Roll your fondant out, dust with a little powdered sugar, place onion sack on fondant and roll over it with your rolling pin. It makes a great impression! I also use this to impress a texture on basketballs!

xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:06am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSweetSisters

Use an onion sack. You know, the red ones. Cut it open, wash it, let it dry well (don't want water on your fondant.) Roll your fondant out, dust with a little powdered sugar, place onion sack on fondant and roll over it with your rolling pin. It makes a great impression! I also use this to impress a texture on basketballs!




Things I would never think of using! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember this one.

Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:30am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

Maybe you could use a mesh strainer to imprint the fondant? That might give you a look that's close to what you need..




That's exactly what I would use, the mesh strainer, it makes a great 'mesh' imprint.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%