Imbc Vs. Smbc

Decorating By tiffanyp23 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm by josumiko

tiffanyp23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanyp23 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I have read recipes and watched several videos on how to make both. My question is, other than the method of preparation, what is the difference between the two? Do they taste very different? Do they have different textures(mouthfeel)? Is one easier to work with than the other? What is your personal preference and why? Sorry so many questions icon_redface.gif TIA!!

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

The only real difference is method of preparation. Also, since an Italian meringue is the most stable of all of the meringues, the IMBC is going to be a slightly more stable end product, but only marginally so. It all comes down to what you find easier to make, because in all other respects, they are identical.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 10

I prefer the IMBC, because I can make it using meringue powder and because I find it easier to make.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #4 of 10

I like SMBC because it's delicious, very silky and super easy and quick to make

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:52am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I prefer the IMBC, because I can make it using meringue powder and because I find it easier to make.

Would you have a recipe that uses the meringue powder that you wouldn't mind sharing?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Would you have a recipe that uses the meringue powder that you wouldn't mind sharing?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3483-5-Promises-Meringue-Buttercream.html

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #7 of 10

thanks icon_smile.gif

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 10

Do either IMBC or SMBC need to be refrigerated once its on the cake?

Can someone answer this question for me? My dad requested a cake for his birthday--the recipe is an old family recipe that I've never made it before. The icing appears to be a version of an IMBC--I made it (it's delicious), refrigerated it until I needed it. Yesterday I went to ice the cake, so I brought the icing to room temperature--it had separated a bit, so I rewhipped it and it was fine....then I had to put the cake back in the fridge, and now I'm nervous that when I take it out, drive it 1 1/2 hours to the party, and it warms up, the icing is gonna separate again....will that happen?

Thanks!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 10

Not really sure with IMBC, but my SMBC hasn't done that ever, but as I told you, I'm not sure if it's something natural of this icing or the heat

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 10

No...the IMBC will not separate once it is on the cake...I have done this quite a few times with no ill effects. Oh and as for the taste, I think that the SMBC tastes more like a stick of butter than the IMBC...I tried making both, with the same ingredients, and this is what I thought. (maybe it had to do with using salted butter, but I used the same butter for both, and the IMBC was less buttery...in a good way.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%