Stacking Help

Decorating By RosieC Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 7:37am by xstitcher

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 4

I have a dilemna! I am planning to make my sister's wedding cake in a few weeks. My plan was to do a ten inch two layer tier with an eight inch two layer tier stacked on top...then the six inch topper using separator plates and pillars. We bought the eight inch scalloped edge separator plate set but ....is this going to work...seems that the plate sitting on top of the eight inch tier is going to hang way over the eight inch tier...is this a no-no? Do I have to go to a nine inch tier and then that will look funny with the ten inch bottom tier. I don't want to increase to a twelve inch as this would be way too much cake. I don't know how else to go about this....any help is greatly appreciated! RosieC

3 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 4

If you dont want to see the scalloped edge why don't you find clear plates that have no scallops, that way they dont show..
Edna icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 4

Personally, I prefer a 3" min tier difference and a 4" difference works even better (esp if you are putting things on top of the tiers, like roses). Remember, with the way you have it 10-8-6, there is only 1" of space all the way around the top of each tier. That's not a lot of room to decorate!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

If you dont want to see the scalloped edge why don't you find clear plates that have no scallops, that way they dont show..
Edna icon_smile.gif

If you want to use the plates I'd do as Edna suggested, go back to the store and exchange them, let them know you didn't realize you picked up the wrong size or you could buy sps or you could use plain cakeboards or you could use foam core board cut to size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%