Do You Make Your Fondant In Your Ka?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm by jamiekwebb

luminajd Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 17

I dont have a KA, I have a sunbeam stand mixer. So I have been to afraid to try my MMF or MFF in my mixer. I mix it mostly by hand, then finish mixing it and kneading it on my vinyl.
I have begun to hate making fondant. It makes such a mess and it so hard to mix.
I just read a thread that says you can make fondant in 10 minutes in a KA. Is this true? I may be saving up for one if that is the case.
As a side note, how do you keep everything from being coated in fondant? I grease the hell out of myself, bowls, and vinyl, and still end up with a sticky mess.

16 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 17

I've had a few Sunbeam mixers and you're wise not to try making fondant in it. I do always use my KA to make MMF. I've got the Artisan model...a little bigger than the one they sell at Walmart but not the big bowl-lift model. I use the dough hook and grease the bowl and hook very well. It's not any more difficult for the machine than making bread dough, which I do pretty often too. You just have to keep the machine on the lowest speed.

Anyhow, besides the mixer bowl and dough hook, I use a nonstick cutting mat...those flexible ones you can get really cheap at Walmart. Just smear some crisco on it and then scrape the fondant out of the mixer bowl onto it, grease my hands, knead a couple of times, and that's it. There's not a lot of mess. It's easier to wash the cutting mat than my big piece of vinyl.

xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 17

I make my MFF in my KA all the time. Not difficult at all and I found the clean up relatively easy. I only ever made MMF twice both times by hand and found it to be a royal pain in the b***. Clean up was a hassle too. I have the KitchenAid Professional 600 6Qt and plan on getting another soon. You might want to check out KA's outlet store, they have great deals on mixers there quite often. Here's the link:

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/category.asp?CAT=OUTLET

schnumvf Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 17

I always make MMF in my KA. I don't know what model I have - it's about 10 years old. Works great. I melt my marshmallows on the microwave and then scrape it into the KA bowl. I use the dough hook and let it do all of the work. There is usually a little sugar that isn't fully incorporated, but the fondant doesn't usually need it. I will knead the MMF after I take it out of the mixer, but yeah. The KA is a life saver. I didn't use it the first few times I made fondant and then one day it dawned on me "dough hook" Life has been easier ever since. icon_wink.gif

PuffCake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 17

Yes! The Kitchen Aid with the dough hook is great for making MMF! I Crisco the inside of the bowl, the dough hook and the spataula I use to scrape down the sides. The Crisco eventually gets worked into the fondant so it does end up sticking a little, but it's not nearly as bad if I don't coat everything with Crisco first.

rvercher23 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 17

I just made 4 batches in about 35 minutes with my friends kitchen aid mixer. Last week I was making it with mine and I broke it. But it was my fault because I turned it too high trying to hurry it up. It is so easy!!! I add most of my powdered sugar in the bowl, then I knead the rest in after it is done in the mixer.

grandmom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 17

Yes, I use the KA to make fondant, but I would not use my Sunbeam for that. I have the big 6-qt lift model.

luminajd Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 17

Okay, you guys have me convinced. I will probably wait until we have a little more money, then invest. DH would probably kill me now if I bought one. It sucks though, I made 2 batches of fondant today and will need a few more in Sept, hhhmmm...
DH was nice and bought me my Sunbeam last year, I was so excited I got a standmixer, until I realized it wasnt a KA icon_confused.gif

FairyPoppins Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 17

No, I stopped using mine for MMF when I found out the KA Artisan model has plastic motor parts whereas the professional has all metal motor parts. I don't want to risk mine breaking.
I find it's easier to make MMF by hand as I hate trying to scrape all the melted marshmallows off the dough hook.

kellie0406 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #10 of 17

I have both a Sunbeam & KA. Started with the Sunbeam 15 years ago, but invested in the KA about a year back once I started doing cakes & making MMF. My KA works great, I too grease the bowl & hook then don't have too hard of a time cleaning up. Just made 2 batches this afternoon!

Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #11 of 17

I mak mine in my KA and grease EVERYTHING! The micro bowl, the spatula, the KA bowl, the plextglass sheet I roll it out on, I mean EVERYTHING!

dsilvest Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #12 of 17

I make mine in the KA mixer but only add about 5 cups of the ps. I knead the rest in by hand. I am afraid to burn out the motor if I make it work too hard. It is a newer model but not the pro. It still does not take that long to knead in the ps.

baking_fool Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #13 of 17

I was wondering, I made MMF in my KA and the fondant turned out really tough and hard to work with, it craked and there were all kinds of little flaws. What did I do wrong? I used the slowest speed. Any help icon_smile.gif

patiese1 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:44am
post #14 of 17

I use my ka all the time to make my fondant. I find that if my fondant is hard and cracking I add a little bit of shortening. That seems to help. Good luck

Irish245 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:02am
post #15 of 17

I will never use my KA to make MMF again. I used to do it all the time, and then one time the dough bunched in between the dough hook and the side of the bowl and stripped the gears......cost me over $100 to get it fixed. Never again...and I agree with the member who said it gets too tough in the mixer. I make mine in the microwave, just until the marshmallows are almost all melted, take the bowl out and mix, add powdered sugar, mix a little in the bowl, turn it on to my table and after just a few minutes of mixing it's done. All I have to clean up is a bowl, a spoon and the table and it's done in a flash!!!

If when you turn it out onto the table, it sticks to your hands a lot, it just means it's a little too warm. Give it a minute or two and then try again. Then I just wrap in saran wrap until it cools down a bit before I use it.

herecomesthecake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:43am
post #16 of 17

I always make mine with my artisan KA. But, I use no more than 8 oz. of marshmallows and 4 cups of ps at a time for each batch. It takes practice to make it not too soft and not too stiff. Also, I cover my cakes with it a couple hours after I make it....I don't let it sit too long. I probably wouldn't make it if it wasn't for my KA.

jamiekwebb Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #17 of 17

Nope I never do... I do it by hand and it only takes about 10 minutes.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%