How Do I Know If A Scratch Cake Is Sturdy?

Baking By leahk Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm by JanH

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 4

I have a few recipes that I like and would like to know if they can be transferred to be stacked (not carved).

I am specifically considering now 2 different recipes that call for baking in a Bundt pan. Can I just bake them as flat layers and then torte and stack?

What elements in a recipe should I look for?

Thanks in advance.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 4

Nobody says it better than indydebi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The cake doesn't support the upper tiers. The support system does. You don't need a special consistency cake recipe for a tiered cake. You can make a bottom tier out of cool whip and if your support system is a good one, you can stack 4 tiers on top of the cool whip tier and it'll stand fine.

Everything you ever wanted to know to make decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

There is:

baking help/cake preparation (how much batter per pan by size), hints and tips (flower nails, bake-even strips, lower oven temp., making your own pan grease, etc.)

smoothing and stacking help

illustrations of common cake support systems with complete directions (tiered/stacked)

and more....

HTH

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:55am
post #3 of 4

Thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 4

You're very welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%