Storing/freezing Buttercream Frosting??

Decorating By tmterlaan Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm by tmterlaan

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to freeze buttercream frosting?? If so, for how long, and in what kind of container.. bag, bowl...?
HELP!!

6 replies
shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 7

I freeze BC all the time. I use the Wilton half butter- half criso recipe. I have done it 2 different ways... actually, 3. I've wrapped it in saran wrap and then put several different "logs" of BC in a freezer bag. I've put it straight into the freezer bag. I've also packed it into a container with a piece of saran wrap on the top of the BC and then put the lid on. You want to make sure that it is sealed completely.

For how long... hmmm, I'm not sure. I've used some that has been in my freezer for several months, and it turned out ok. I don't know what the max limit would be.

Hope someone else answers that question for you!

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 7

I always always always freeze buttercream. I usually do an Italian Merengue buttercream and it freezes perfectly (In a plastic container). I keep it a few months without any problems. Just be sure that it is defrosted completely at room temperature...beat it a little with an electric mixer, and it is just perfect.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

I always freeze my all-shortening buttercream. I hate making frosting, so when I do, I set aside a whole day and make loads of it. I freeze it in half-gallon sherbet tubs. I think right now I have about 20 tubs in my freezer. It'll last for months. The night before I need it, I take it out of the freezer and leave it on the kitchen counter. I give it a good stir just before I use it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 7

I freeze mine too (half-butter/half-shortening). I have wrapped a "ball" of it in saran and frozen that. I have also put it into a tupperware container, covered that with saran and then put on its lid and frozen the whole thing. Either worked fine. I think I read somewhere that a few months is fine??

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 7

The one time i froze my buttercream and then thawed it i was really disappointed. The buttercream texture changed, got kinda gritty. Could it be the meringue powder in it? I use all shortening, plus meringue powder.

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for the help. I feel much better about freezing it. I made the White Chocolate Buttercream recipe from here and everyone loves it. It is part shortning/part butter so I think it will freeze OK. It is so good, that I didn't want to waste it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%