Spongebob Cake For Cancer Patient

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm by cai0311

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
Someone I work with has a son that has been fighting cancer for a year now. I have never met the woman or her family, but several emails have been sent around about how her son is doing (around age 7). I emailed the woman and told her that, if she was okay with it, I would make a cake for her son with a theme that interested him. I thought it would help cheer him up.

Well, I got an email from her this morning saying the doctor told them yesterday that the treatments were not working and he only has 3 to 4 weeks to live. She said she wants me to make a Spongebob cake and the faster the better.

So, this weekend that is what I will be doing. Needless to say, I would like this to be an over the top cake. But, I am to deliver it to work and she will take it home so I am not sure if I want to do a tiered cake since I won't be delivering it. Plus, AND I KNOW THIS IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT THEY ARE GOING THROUGH I have two other cakes due Wednesday. I am not speedy by any means.
I don't want to postpone her take till next week, because you never know.

I would like ideas for the cake. My skills or so/so (you can see that by my pictures). Please keep that in mind when you suggest something.

6 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

I saw this picture on flickr and thought it looked really good

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pink_apron/2430372066/

It's better than just a regular spongebob shaped cake, but isn't too complex.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 7

I'm so sorry for this little boy and his family! How about a round cake frosted in blue with all those flowers piped around the sides. See if you can make a fondant figure of sponge bob for the top, or just draw him flat on the top. Another option is to buy him a sponge bob toy and put it on top of the cake ... then he can have the toy. Poor little kid, this breaks my heart!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 7

What a sad story ouch.gif - you just want to be able to give him the world !

This is just a 2D spongebob that I did, if you are interested I can PM you all the instructions and the picture I used as a template.

Best of luck and god bless to the little boy,

Kim
LL

cai0311 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

That is such a cute cake!
Thanks for the replies. I am going to do the round cake idea. I want to be able to give the woman the cake tomorrow.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 7

Please post when finished. Tell his mom you got a few more people praying for them.

cai0311 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

A picture of the cake is in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%