Icing Under Fondant

Decorating By not_a_desperate_housewife Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm by tmterlaan

not_a_desperate_housewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 8

I will soon be covering my first cake in Satin Ice fondant (white). I'm wondering if chocolate buttercream icing will show through the white fondant? Do you think it's a bad idea to use?

Also, should I wait until the icing crusts before putting on the fondant? Or should the icing be soft?

Thanks!

7 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 8

Hi. Is this your first fondant covered cake? There is no problem with choc icing under white fondant but you will have to roll it a little thicker so that the darkness does not show through. My main concern if this is your first exp. is that fondant takes practice and even with lots of practice doesn't always roll out right the first time. Satin ice is pricey and if you have to remove your fondant for a second go it will be hard to reuse because of choc frosting being on it. Chiiling your cake for a few minutes might be helpful because it will harden the frosting a bit. Good luck but you may consider practicing or using mmf because you won't feel like this icon_cry.gif if you have to throw it away. hth

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

Just to play it safe why don't you try a white chocolate ganache?

not_a_desperate_housewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, it's my first time rolling out fondant. I've been practicing rolling it out and what-not. And once my kids get up from their naps, I am headed out to buy a vinyl board to help with transferring the fondant on to the cake. I realize Satin Ice fondant is expensive, but I know it is better tasting than Wilton's. I do not have time nor energy to make my own fondant. I've contemplated not using chocolate buttercream icing because I've feared a potential freakout if I do not get the fondant on well the first time. But, the icing inside is chocolate buttercream, so I wanted to stay consistent.

White chocolate ganach -- I was JUST doing some reading on it! I am a little confused as to how much I am going to need. Also, I don't know if I have the time for it to set overnight and then another night for it to set on the cake. (At least that's the gist I got.) I have to be done with this cake by Friday evening.

Is there a such thing as white chocolate buttercream? Just wondering.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

"I do not have time nor energy to make my own fondant."

I used to think the same way as you, til I tried it. You might want to really give MMF a chance...it is SOOOO easy, quick & much cheaper!!! Not to mention the taste blows bought fondant out of the water!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

"I do not have time nor energy to make my own fondant."

I used to think the same way as you, til I tried it. You might want to really give MMF a chance...it is SOOOO easy, quick & much cheaper!!! Not to mention the taste blows bought fondant out of the water!

That's true icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I make the MMF in my KitchenAid and it takes less than 10 minutes per batch. Each batch makes 3lbs fondant and it costs about $3.

Anyhow, you can add some melted white chocolate to your buttercream. I'd mix the white chocolate with some buttercream in a smaller bowl first, then add it to the rest of the buttercream. If you use the white chocolate baking squares instead of the white chocolate chips, they actually have cocoa butter in them so you get a better taste.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 8

I used satin ice for a long time too but many customers don't like its mouthfeel and taste any better than wilton so I tried mmf and was surprised at how easy it was to make. I can't even begin to count how many people that were totally against having fondant due to past experiences that have turned full circle and now won't have anything but a mmf covered cake. Oh and kids love it too. If you do consider it though it really should be made the day before so that it can rest in the refrig for overnight. icon_smile.gif

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 8

I make the white chocolate buttercream frosting that I found on CC and it is by far the best tasting white frosting I've made. Also, I agree with the others about the MMF. If you use the recipe from here that you make in a stand mixer, not the knead by hand one, you will love it. I use to buy Satin Ice, but never again, the MMF is soooo much better! And, it is a lot easier to work with for us newbies. You really have to get used to the Satin Ice to make it work as good. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%