Do You Charge More For Pillow Cakes?

Business By korkyo Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm by melodyscakes

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 27

I just made a pilow cake dummy for a bridal show. It took a LOT longer than regular fondant cakes to do and that was just the decorations part and not carving the cake.

My reg BC price is 3.50 and fondant 4.50 ... I'm thinking 5.50 at leasat for the pillow cake idea.

See the picture of this cake. I think it turned out pretty well. Constructive critisim appreciated too!! .

Thanks,
LL

26 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 27

it looks awesome.......you def. need to charge a "carved cake" price not your standard fondant cake price.

I charge 3.50 for carved, fondant covered cakes
I charge 2.75 for regular fondant covered cakes so I'd say your pricing is right on

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 27

That's beautiful. I agree, it should be a carved cake price, not just a fondant price.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 27

$5 for carved cakes and yours would be at least $5.50, up to $6. Your cake is beautiful.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 27

it is gorgeous! and def charge more for carved cakes. i did a pillow cake and ended up wishing i had charged more. they are a lot more work than reg tiers

i would add some kind of edging to the second from the top pillow to make it look more like a pillow, but it is seriously beautiful! i'm jealous of your skill icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 27

I think the style of all 3 cakes coordinate perfectly with each other too! Just love it! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 27

I think the style of all 3 cakes coordinate perfectly with each other too! Just love it! thumbs_up.gif

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 27

Wow! This is so gorgeous! You absolutely should charge more for sculpted cakes. No question that they take way more time than regular tiers.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 27

What did you use to carve the styrofoam? just curious..I was thinking of making a dummy like this myself.

It's really pretty! I don't have any critiques.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 27

I think they are a lot of work. Imagine carving and stacking them with real cake. I think I would charge lot's more than $5 a serving.. This type of cake is quite consuming and can be a nightmare to stack and deliver..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 27

Ahhh Edna ,now you scared the pants off me, I was so dying to try a tiered pillow cake. ;p; I trust your judgement however, maybe I'll wait. BTW your cake is gorgeous, def charge more and no complaints here, I think it's perfect.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #12 of 27

Your cake is absoutely Stunning, Fabalous, Amazing Georgeous and all that (WOW)
I too was wondering how did you carve a dummy like that Girl you got skills
Definately charge more

tonedna Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

Ahhh Edna ,now you scared the pants off me, I was so dying to try a tiered pillow cake. ;p; I trust your judgement however, maybe I'll wait. BTW your cake is gorgeous, def charge more and no complaints here, I think it's perfect.

I didn't mean to scare icon_redface.gif , but..I do respect this kind of cakes with areas of cake hanging in mid air....loooooooots of respect! icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

korkyo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #14 of 27

Thanks for the support girls!!

I may even go 6.00 a slice. It took me 6 hours to do just the covering and decorating. ACK!

The dummies are from www.**********.com LOVE them!

korkyo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 27

Ok, so when did they start blocking the web address in a post? I must have missed a "rule" update somewhere along the line??

The dummies are from that place www.**********.com shapes. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 27

A bit off topic here - but have any of you used those pillow pans from fiesta yet? I was wondering if those would make the pillow cakes any easier to do? (since they supposedly already bake in the proper shape)

The dummy cake is absolutely gorgeous!!!

korkyo Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:21am
post #17 of 27

I saw those pans at convnetion. Seems like a neat idea but something about it just makes me nervous. I'm not sure if that's just me or not. I feel like there is MORE risk of the cake falling apart or cracking.

Loucinda Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #18 of 27

That is why I was wondering if anyone on here has used them yet. IF it would make it easier to do (no carving) I would get them in a heart beat - but not knowing how they work......

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #19 of 27

Liked your cake, how did you carve the dummies? It must have been very difficult.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #20 of 27

pillow dummys are available at www.**********.com online

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 27

Beautiful cake! And you should definitely charge at least $6 a serving for a cake like that. (If not more).

tonedna Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #22 of 27

I am thinking it needs to go up to $8
Edna icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #23 of 27

it is beautiful! I want to so steal your design for the bridal show. I WON'T, but I really want too. I didn't realize that dallas foam had those shapes.
good luck at the bridal show. which one are you getting ready for?
I'm doing the perfect wedding guide one in Oct. I need to come up with a few new designs myself.

korkyo Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #24 of 27

Melody,
I sent you a PM. Le tme know if you don't get it I think I messed it up.

I don't care if you do a pillow cake. Just make it totally different and don't charge less than 6.00 a silce. thumbs_up.gif
I've always said the competition is there to keep us on our toes.

icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #25 of 27

So getting back to the pillow shaped pans. Does anyone actually have them? And are they on a website somewhere? I search for fiesta and I think I found the site (it was a couple of days ago) but I don't think I ever found the pans.

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:36am
post #26 of 27

leah - you have to call them, they are not listed on their site. They carry them, but they don't have a pic of them there. Fiesta is the name of the company, but that isn't their website name - it is this http://www.suppliesforcakes.com/ - they are called pillow cake pans, and the set is around $100. - I just wish I could hear some feedback on them before I spend the money.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #27 of 27

I didn't get a pm korko

I am tying to scrape up enough money to attend Browen Webers 3-D class.
it looks incredible!

which classes are you going to attend?
and how much is the day of sharing?

thanks!

melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%