What Icing Do You Use Under Fondant?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm by brincess_b

sugarMomma Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 13

and do you do it for a specific reason (stability, taste, etc.).

I've always been a traditional American buttercream user, because it was easy and people liked it, but I have made my first SMBC and it's not as intimidating as I thought it would be. I hope that using it under fondant won't make it sag since it is so soft, and it is pretty hot in August.
I have a roulette table cake I'm making, should I stick to what I know? or use the SMBC...

Just wondered what you guys use mostly under fondant, and if you've had any problems or opinions.

12 replies
KoryAK Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 13

I'm an exclusive SMBC user - love it under fondant.

NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 13

You can use buttercream, I do mostly. I like to use ganache though if it's a chocolate cake.

Also, don't put too much buttercream on the cake before laying on the fondant, you want to be able to see the cake under the buttercream, you need to use it that sparingly. Too much filling will cause your fondant to bulge, so you need to be careful there too.

cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 13

What is the SMBC?

Tried to search, but couldn't find it.

sugarMomma Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 13

SMBC is Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Yummmy!

cupcakemkr Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakelady64

What is the SMBC?

Tried to search, but couldn't find it.

it is Swiss Merangue (sp?) Butter Cream

Here is a list of anacronyms used on Cake Central:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0.html

HTH

cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 13

And this is what you would suggest under fondant?

Because i just use the regular buttercream under fondant and i don't know if i'm putting too much bc or what, but my fondant gives a little and creates lumps/bumps/sagging. I did just read that the bc shouldn't be thick, so that may be part of the problem. But i was looking for a bc that would hold it's own under the fondant.

NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 13

Cupcakelady64 - I don't think it's what's underneath the fondant that is causing your problem as this is really only used to stick the fondant to the cake, I think it may be because you're using too much buttercream underneath.

cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 13

Nat-

i think we are on to something!! icon_biggrin.gif

i know some bakers use thicker bc if they are using a...well...um..."less than delicious" fondant, because it will be peeled off and something needs to be there. otherwise, it seems, they keep it thin!

thanks for the nudge! thumbs_up.gif

NatalieMarie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 13

No problem! Hope it helps.

sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #11 of 13

It will also help with bumps if you chill the cake to harden the buttercream, whatever the type. Fondant can go on smoother without squishing the icing around.

auntginn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 13

Can someone share their recipe please. I am having an aweful time with my regular buttercream. I looked in the recipe files and don't see one.

Thank you in advance.

brincess_b Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 13

indydebis is a good one on here. or just a traditional bc - butter, twice as much icing sugar, and a bit of milk or water.
i use a thick layer of bc, not just a crumb coat. sometimes you are limited as to what you can do by the recipe, heat, and experience, but i generally do it problem free.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%