Gray Color Without Turning Green?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 8

I need to paint something gray. When I've tried in the past with Wilton's black thinned with vodka, it splits into green and pink. Will Americolor's black do the same? And if so, what do you recommend? I think I can get some powdered black food color, not black petal dust but just black food color. I don't have time to order anything, so I have to go with what I can get locally.

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 8

I love painting with powdered colors (both food and petal). The only problem here is, black will be black, no matter how much you try to dilute it. I don't know what the addition of white white will do. But, I suppose it's worth a try.

How were you planning to get grey from black paste? Isn't it black no matter how much you dilute it?

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 8

I usually just add vodka until it's not all the way black. icon_biggrin.gif When I've done it in the past though, I was painting rocks and it looked okay for them to be sort of greenish here and there. This time I need to paint a shark, or part of a shark. I'm figuring I'll cover him with white fondant and then paint his back gray. This was a last minute thing for a friend's son.

I know it doesn't work to thin white-white with vodka. I wonder if just diluting black gel with white white would work, if it would dry on the fondant...then I could use what I have and not have to go to the cake decorating supply shop, where I can never seem to just buy what I came for.

DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 8

If you mix the white white with the black gel, let me know how it turns out.

I'm gonna guess that it will dry on the fondant because white white dries so well. A little too well -- the rubber flange on my garbage disposal is permanently stained from it!

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 8

I'm thawing out a piece of fondant to test it on right now. I'll let you know how it works icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 8

It works! Thank you so much for the idea!

This is how it came out...I used two shades of gray, and then white, to see how it blends. Sorry about the blurry photo, I'm too short to take good pictures on my kitchen counter icon_biggrin.gif

Looking at how it comes out and at the photo my friend sent me as an example of what she would like, I'm thinking that may be the exact way they painted the shark on their cake. I had thought it was airbrushed because of the color blending.

This project is a lot more interesting to me than it was before icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 8

That looks cool! And is it drying nicely on the fondant?

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

It dried sometime while I was out running errands...not too sure how long it took but it's dry now. It doesn't have an absolutely perfect finish but it should be a good finish for a shark icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%