Make A Waterfall?

Decorating By nicolesprinkle Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm by mommicakes

nicolesprinkle Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 10

How do you make a water fall on the side of a cake using piping gel like on this cake?

Do you put whit buttercream underneath? Thanks!

9 replies
imamommy1205 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 10

I am gonna put this affect on a tinkerbell cake for my girls' bday party and I am curious as well. It does look like there is white buttercream under the piping gel.

DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 10

I use blue buttercream with streaks of white througout. Then, paint a very thin layer of blue piping gel on top.

cownsj Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 10

To me, looking at the close-up photos of the water, it looks like it has white buttercream underneath. You can see through the piping gel and if it isn't buttercream, then we'd be seeing cake. But, I think the best way to find out would be to go into her link and post an email to her and ask directly. And since the posting says the waterfall was difficult to do, ask about that too, and then let us all know.

cupcakemkr Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 10

Your cake is great Diane! Love the colorflow animals and the trees are really sharp.

Thanks for the explaination, I'll be doing a waterfall this weekend, it helps.

nicolesprinkle Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks DianeLM! Great cake! Do you use clear piping gel or do you color it also?

DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 10

I tinted the piping gel blue.

mcdonald Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 10

great cake !! Love the colorflow animals.. I am terrible at sculpting so this is a great option for me!!

SHADDI Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 10

The White that you see I believe is the reflection of the flash of a camera. but you could do it either way white fondant/buttercream and have tinted blue piping gel over it or have blue fondant/buttercream and have clear piping gel over it, maybe with a hint of blue in it.

hope that helps you out, it's very easy to do and you shouldn't have any problem which ever way you do it.

good luck

mommicakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 10

I made a wedding cake and used marshmallow fluff with some blue icing color swirled through it. It worked pretty nicely, and it actually made puddles at the bottom in different thicknesses. I have a pic of it in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%