Cake Balls/truffles- Price???

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 1:52am by MORSELSBYMARK

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to start offering brides the option of boxed cake balls/truffles as a possible wedding favor idea. I'm thinking 4 medium sized truffles pakaged in a simple box.

Does anyone have experience selling/pricing cake balls? I desperately need some suggestions for how to price these.

Thanks,
Rhonda

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 7

fairly high - more expensive than most people would expect for something so 'easy'. although for simple ones ie: one colour, a drizzel of something, they would be the cheapest, and fairly easy to do production line style.
but ones with the monograms, looking like animals, thats when the production line gets harder to maintain, so time (cost) goes up.
and packaging - you have to figure that.

just price them like cake - ingrediants and extras (ie: power, kitchen roll, hot water, packaging), and time.
xx

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 7

If you look on line at some of the sites that sell cruffles, that is a good reference point. I price cruffles for $10.00 doz/boxed, $15.00 doz if on sticks, wrapped and in mugs, etc. Be sure to include the price of your boxes, ribbons, etc., in your pricing. Your additions to the cruffles also will make a difference in your price.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dettdunn

If you look on line at some of the sites that sell cruffles, that is a good reference point. I price cruffles for $10.00 doz/boxed, $15.00 doz if on sticks, wrapped and in mugs, etc. Be sure to include the price of your boxes, ribbons, etc., in your pricing. Your additions to the cruffles also will make a difference in your price.

That sounds good!

And to the OP - you could even get little individual size boxes and and use those for wedding's too. I just went to a wedding last weekend where they put a little piece of fudge in a little box for each guest. They had it packaged so cute as well!

I'll try to post a pic later. It's too big right now and I have to go.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 7

Keep in mind that when offering cake balls vs truffles there is a distinct difference between the two. A bride will assume that a truffle will be a ganache filling coated on the outside by choc, coconut, nuts, etc. There would be a major difference in price between the two because one contains all choc and cream while the other is mostly cake with some choc. I purchase callebaut choc from a wholesaler and it can range from semisweet @ $.40/oz to white @ $.90/oz. Many people tend to call various items truffles and you may already know all this but you would be surprised how many people do not. icon_smile.gif

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 7

I was just on a website that charged $80 for 36 cake balls. They do wedding favors that includes 2 balls (described as golf ball size).
HTH

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 7

I easily get 5 bucks for 6 cake truffles (same as what I charge for regular truffles - wife just thginks the name sounds better than "cake balls"). The beauty of it is that since the cake is coming from trimmings on cake I've been paid for, there is a nice profit margin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%