Freezing Cakes

Decorating By Lisa1050 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm by msmeg

Lisa1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa1050 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 9

can anyone tell me if they think freezing cakes make them dry. I am making 2 baby shower cakes for Wednesday and was thinking of making them this weekend and freezing them for a couple of days. What does everyone think? Thanks

8 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 9

Freezing doesn't make them dry. Bad recipes, and overbaking make them dry. I dble wrap with plastic wrap, and put in freezer.

Mike

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

I freeze call my cakes. I don't think I could decorate one if it hadn't been frozen!!! I have been doing it for so long now!!!

I think the freezing actually makes a cake more moist!!!! It doesn't something to the cake that is wonderful!!!!

I always wrap mine in saran and then sometimes a layer of foil if it will be in there for a little while (longer than a week but no more than 2). I always wrap mine up while they are still warm and place them in the freezer!!!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 9

I also freeze my cakes. I will freeze even if I am baking and decorating the same day! HTH

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

I always make my cakes the weekend or Monday prior. I wrap them in plastic wrap, foil, then tie them tight in a plastic grocery store bag. Never had a problem with dry cakes & makes carving so much easier to do when frozen. Take this advice with the grain of salt, I'm very much a newbie with lots to learn!

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 9

I always freeze my cakes, that allows me to get my baking done the first part of the week and work on other things for the cakes later in the week. I have to agree I think freezing them adds moisture. I too wrap mine while they are still warm I figure the moisture stays in and freezes to make a moist cake.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 9

I've got my first frozen in the freezer!
I'll be taking it out later today to decorate. Let you know how it goes!! I imagine well! I had never froze the cakes before. I just baked and rested a bit. Never had many problems with settling either...we'll see!! icon_smile.gif

Lisa1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa1050 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone, I am just trying to figure out why my cake came out so dry, I think i may have overbaked it. Thanks again!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 9

unless the cake was frozen for months your problem was over baking if a mix cake and if scratch it could have been many things

Heck I even had some left over cupcakes and tossed them in the freezer in a pan unwrapped and figured I would feed them to the kids a week later I pulled them out ( still uncovered) and frosted them and wow they were still moist.

If I am frosting in the next day or so I do not bother to wrap unless something stinky is in the freezer. More that 2 days I wrap in plastic wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%