Freezing/refreezing Wasc And Other Concerns

Decorating By klat7292 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm by kakeladi

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 9

2 Questions:

1. Is it okay to freeze a WASC cake (or any other cake that has sour cream in the recipe) and then defrost, fill and re-freeze?

I have a cake class this weekend and I've already frozen my cakes, but I'm thinking about defrosting and filling and then re-freezing until time of class-I know that we will be on a time schedule, so I'm trying to stay ahead of the game...I want to use the cake for my son's b-day, so a filling would be nice!

2. When baking a real WASC cake, is it better to bake at lower temp and for longer times? Are bake even strips and flower nails essential to the baking of the cake?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 9

I almost forgot about my other question! icon_rolleyes.gif

What are some of the best flavor/filling combos that go with WASC? Can WASC be made for ANY cake flavor? I've read some other threads here, but it didn't really answer any of my questions? icon_smile.gif

If the WASC is not too dry for a regular cake, but dense enough for carving, then it will probably be my future recipe for all cakes...my cakes are coming out SO moist that even icing them are huge problems...(b/c of the neverending crumbs!) icon_cry.gif

TIA again!! thumbs_up.gif

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 9

I can't really answer part 1, hopefully some of the WASC experts in here can help with that.

I always use bake-even strips, and they make a huge difference! I also bake at 325. I taught a cake decorating class for kids two weeks ago, and the first day I brought in 2 8" layers to do a demo (which we ate later!). The first comment that I got was about how flat they were.

I have never used a flower nail or heating core, as many people here recommend, but the largest cake I have ever made was a 10" round. I do need to level those a little bit.

Hope this helps!

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

As far as WASC flavors go, this thread will probably tell you more than you ever thought possible:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554.html

I have only recently started experimenting with the WASC. I made a plain one and Orange Dreamsicle and they were both fabulous!

klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies so far!! icon_biggrin.gif

But are there ANY WASC experts that can help out on the freezing/refreezing issue?! I've got to make a decision tonight as I'm leaving tomorrow to go to class!! icon_biggrin.gif And I've got a bday boy to take out to dinner tonight...so I'm pressed for time...

klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

Anyone? icon_rolleyes.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 9

You can freeze, thaw and refreeze the WASC with no damage to the texture or flavor.

Bread and baked products don't suffer the same kinds of bacterial problems that meat and other proteins do from the refreezing process.

Keep in mind that the quality will deteriorate if you thaw and refreeze too much. I'm not talking about when you're actually working on the cake. I mean, you take it out of the freezer, decide after 2 days you don't need it, put it back in the freezer for 2 months. Take it out, leave it at room temp for 3 days, put it back in the freezer, etc..

klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 9

1. Is it okay to freeze a WASC cake (or any other cake that has sour cream in the recipe) and then defrost, fill and re-freeze?
I have a cake class this weekend and I've already frozen my cakes, but I'm thinking about defrosting and filling and then re-freezing until time of class-I

2. When baking a real WASC cake, is it better to bake at lower temp and for longer times? Are bake even strips and flower nails essential to the baking of the cake.

I'm sorry I didn't see this ? until nowicon_sad.gif
As for the *original* WASC recipe yes, you could do as you suggested.......but why? it really doesn't need to be re-fzn for only 24 hrs. Once it is crumb coated it will be just fine at room temp for 3 days.

Baking: If you read my original recipe I give baking directions. I prefer to bake at slower/lower temp for a longer time.....sometimes only maybe 5 minutes more.
I never bake w/wet strips, flower nail, or heat core. No need for them if you use 2" deep pans.....but they won't hurt your baking eithericon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%