Feeling A Little Stupid But I Have To Ask.....

Decorating By KarenTurnbull Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 7:04am by KarenTurnbull

KarenTurnbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenTurnbull Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

Even though I have been dabbling in cake decorating for about three years, I have never had to use cream. My niece wants cream rather then royal icing or marzipan, and I have no idea what to do.

I was thinking of preparing the cake with buttercream first - this is what i would normally do, but i don't know what to do to the cream. Before I starting dabbling with this stuff, I would simply whip the thickened cream and it would be done but I don't want it to be sloppy. I really want it to be firm. I have found some recipes, like this one (from this site's recipe list):
Whipped Cream Icing I

1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract

1 Mix gelatin and cold water in a small saucepan, and let the mixture stand until gelatin thickens. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat, and let cool; do not let set.

2 Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until slightly thickened. Continue beating slowly, while gradually adding the gelatin. Whip at high speed until stiff.

Does anyone have a recipe that they can recommend - and instructions on how to prepare the cake?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks icon_redface.gif

2 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #2 of 3

Not me... but have you heard of Bettercreme or Frostin Pride? They are whipped icings (like whipped cream) that can be used for decorating and can sit out for 5 days once whipped. (I only use it in fillings).

I buy it at Smart&Final (carton of frozen liquid state), and you can buy it pre-whipped from Sams Club if you ask the bakery - but I think they only sell huge tubs.

KarenTurnbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenTurnbull Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:04am
post #3 of 3

I'm based in australia.... will check out the local cake decorating store for it. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%