Do You Ever Make A Dam With Fondant?

Business By cocobean Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm by alidpayne

cocobean Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

I'm really nervous my layers are going to slide? The layers are sitting at an angle for this particular cake. Whats the best thing to use for a dam when the layers are angled? Would a snake of fondant be any sturdier than some stiff buttercream to hold in the raspberry filling and keep the layers from sliding? Or maybe it isn't even sticky enough to stay in place. Would it be a good idea to put some frosting underneath it so it would stay in place? Do you think this is even a good idea? Does this explaination make any sense? I have already had to make the cake part twice because the first one wasn't big enough. icon_mad.gif Here's another idea. What if I put a stiff dam of bc then filled then crumb coated the whole cake with melted chocolate (those chocolate candy melts, buttons). They would harden, right then hold the cake together so it wouldn't slid, right? icon_confused.gif Sorry this is so long, I just need someones extra brain power about now. Someone to help me think this through.

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:33am
post #2 of 5

Ganache is a great idea--plain candy melts not so much but make some candy clay with candy melts + corn syrup that's a good idea.

If you want to really secure a slippery filling, pipe a nice dam but pipe a big X of buttercream across the cake layer before filling from one side to the other--then just put the filling in around the X--it doesn't have to be real wide or thick--

I mean enough to make contact with the layer that will be placed on top of it, but that will help a lot--sometimes with a big tier I'll put a dot (or several dots) of icing in the center so the layers have something to anchor to while they're being cut so they don't slip & slide for serving.

Good Luck!

alidpayne Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:14am
post #3 of 5

K8 I think your answer is a little confusing. You said Ganache, but then you described making modeling chocolate. Maybe you meant either or, not sure. I agree with Ganache though. It is basically what she was wanting to do. I have never tried making ganache with candy melts though? I always use baking chocolate. Not saying it wont work though! There are tons of recipes for it out there.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:50am
post #4 of 5

Ok. Gotcha. Thanks--I got up too early huh.

Using plain chocolate is not a good idea.

Using chocolate with cream which is ganache is a good idea.

Using chocolate with corn syrup which is candy clay is a good idea.

^^^That's to cover the cake^^^

Didja get the part about the extra buttercream X filing?
Is that understandable?

alidpayne Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 5

Actually K8 I thought your buttercream X was an amazing and genius idea. I am totally doing that from now on. It makes so much sense, and I can't believe I never thought of it (or read it on here) before! So if it didn't help the OP it sure did help me! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%