Anyone Have Small Children And Run A Cake Biz?

Business By Motta Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm by Shannon1129

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #31 of 39

i give all of you so much credit!! my kids are grown but my 2 year old grandaughter spends ALOT of time at my house. and i often think to myself while doing a cake, how the heck do people who do this for a business, manage it with small children.
when i have a cake to do, i make sure my daughter knows well in advance that i cant have my grandaughter here. i only do cakes for family/friends so its not that often. but im usually up all night, its my favorite time to decorate.
so my bakers hat comes off to all of you!

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #32 of 39

I have a 15 month old, and although he's at daycare, I work a full-time job. So, I do all of my cakes on the weekends and evenings. It's the only time I can for now. I would love to be able to quit my full-time job and just do this, but I'm the one who makes more money in the family, so I'm forced to stay there for now.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #33 of 39

sjmoral,

I loved your diaper bag, babyshower cake.
I am so bad at charging for something like that.
May I ask? How much did you charge for that particular cake?

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #34 of 39

I have a 3-almost-3 and 1/2-year-old son and like most ladies here, I can do the prep work while he's up. I'm a SAHM, so I have basically all day. I bake, make and color my fondant, cut out any flowers/bows/etc that I may need, and clean up. At night, when I know he won't be touching anything, I do the finish work icon_smile.gif

Netia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Netia Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:50am
post #35 of 39

Yes, we have a cake business for the past 5 yrs, I just retired from the military, and just had twins. So we have 6 children 12, 10, 4, 3 & 4month old twins playing & helping out mommy with cakes. It's a family affair. Depending on the type of cake order I can get them done during the day. All sculpted cakes my husband is awesome & he helps out alot. I'm either up early in the morning 4am or up til 3am doing cakes. Most of my ideas don't come to me until late at night when all is QUIET!!!.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:13am
post #36 of 39

You gals are all so busy! I did the same thing when my kids were little. Just be sure to take plenty of time for them, or you will regret it when they grow up. It happens so quickly so don't lose a moment!!!!! I now have 2 grandaughters and the cycle starts over, but somewhat easier. They love to help and of course Grandma's let them do that sometimes. Be sure to take time for yourselves also. I have always been a workaholic and now I am paying for it healthwise. Enjoy your caking, but take time to smell the flowers!!!!!!!!!!

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #37 of 39

Well said...I still can't believe my son's going to be 4 already! It's amazing how the time flies.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #38 of 39

I am home with my young daughter and all my baking, decorating, etc. is done after everyone's asleep. I work better without worrying about stray hairs, etc. (I can get nuts about hair in food!)
I once tried to work while she was up, set up a table of crafts next to me, but I couldn't concentrate....and I wanted to be playing with her. icon_rolleyes.gif
So, I'm by appointment only...

My husband gets up at 2:30am on work days so he goes to bed at 7:30, same as my daughter... it works out pretty well I guess.

He would gladly entertain her, and does, but it's just easier at night... no phone calls, etc.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #39 of 39

I run a home cake business and have two young kids. I have a 5 yr old that is home all the time (until this coming Fall - WOO HOO) and a 7 yr old. He goes to school during the day. He is a special needs child, so he requires more work than his brother. I also work 25 hours a week at our church here as a special needs coordinator. It gets a bit hectic at times, but I always think how luck I am to have two great kids AND two great jobs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%