Spray Painting?

Decorating By Snow_White Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:39am by tamara13

Snow_White Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #1 of 7

So I've watched a lot of cake shows, and on most of them they use a sprayer thing and spray the cake with, I'm assuming, food coloring. Is there an alternative to that? Or something like the sprayer but less expensive? I've looked into the sprayer thing, sorry I don't know its official name, and they are quite expensive. I'd like to give my cakes the same colors as the proffessionals do, and the colors I use to color my fondant don't give rich darker colors I'd like. Or if you know of how to get a darker color, like red, or sparkly colors like silver. I use the wilton's colors that come in the small jars, and I don't really like those.

6 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 7

Are you talking about an airbrush system? I've seen on Amazing Wedding Cakes that Christopher Garren's cakes uses a handheld sprayer, but have no clue what it's called, how much it is or anything at all about it. I am wondering about it though & it vs an airbrush b/c I am looking to purchase something b/c I HATE coloring icing!

Snow_White Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:22am
post #3 of 7

Airbrush! That's what it is. I could not for the life of me think of the name. Yeah, I hate having to color icing and fondant, the color never turns out how I want it, its always too light. But the airbrushes I've looked at are super expensive. I saw that Amazing Wedding cakes with the hand sprayer, I don't know where to get something like that. There aren't really any good cake supply places in my area aside from Michaels and Joanns.

prterrell Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:34am
post #4 of 7

First, ditch the Wilton colors. Americolor is the way to go!
Second, for fondant, use the pre-colored stuff. It is very color-saturated. You mix it with white (plain) fondant to get the shade you want.

With the airbrush system, you have to use special airbrush colors, that are made just for the system. It takes quite a bit of practice to get the results you see on tv.

Wilton does make airbrush in a can...it's called Color Mist. I've never used them, so I can't speak to how well they work or how easy they are to use.

tamara13 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 7

So I wanted to know what that thing was too so I called Christopher Garren Cakes and they very kindly told me it comes from the hardware store. It's a compressed air thing with a bottle at the bottom and a sprayer on top and it's got a compressed air can in there. You have to use airbrush food coloring with it, not the regular. Mystery solved. I'm on my way to the store ....

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7

Let us know what section you found it, how much & if it has a proper name, etc

tamara13 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7

That wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be but I found it.


Here is one store and at Amazon (see link below) they have 2 different brands plus the parts. I'm going to print this out and see if Home Depot or something close has it. Otherwise I'll go for the Amazon purchase.


Quote by @%username% on %date%