How Much For Gumpaste Roses?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm by MikeRowesHunny

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 5

This is my first time doing gumpaste roses for sale (I've done them tons but just not for sale) I'm doing an 6 inch square cake and I'm guessing I need about 50 if them (for a border and for the top)...I'm fairly cheap, as it is the going rate around here...$2 for butter cream, $3 for (most) fondant to get an idea. I was thinking $1.00-1.50 each...does that sound right? I can crank them out pretty quickly assembly line fashion (about 5 minutes each probably)

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 5

Here's a link to help you figure it out. If you go down the page a little bit you will see they are selling single roses. You get 28 for $36.99 (before shipping). So that's $1.32 each. And with shipping, it's probably going to take them up to $1.75 each.

So I think you are thinking the right amount $1.00 - $1.50.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=991

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5

I would say it depends onyour skill level and the detail of the rose. why would a buttercream or fondant rose cost more? or is that the cost of serving on a cake?

Those sites that sell them problably pay some poor person in India $3 an hour to make those cheap roses my time is worth far more than $1 for one of my gumpaste roses.
Are you just selling the roses to a decorator or trying to figure how to price a cake? I am a little confused.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry for the confusion...I'm trying to figure out how to price a cake. I've made a lot of roses and I'm pretty good at them but they've all been for classes, family cakes, or dummies so I've never had to price them. I'm charging 2.75 per serving of cake and an additional $1.25 per rose (approximately 50). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't way low balling on my estimate.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

I made a wedding cake that had around 100 gumpaste roses on it and added about $370 extra to the basic price of my cake. Those suckers easily took me 25-30 hours to make, so in no way is that over charging!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%