Fondant Question

Decorating By eparm25 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm by Makeitmemorable

eparm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eparm25 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 4

Hi, my name is Emily and I am VERY new to cake decorating!! I have a question about fondant... I have been watching quite a few cake decorating shows and almost everyone has put the cakes in the freezer before covering with fondant and also after the fondant is put on, wouldn't that mess up the fondant? Like I said I am very new and excited to learn all the tricks of the trade!

3 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure they are putting them in the freezer, I think it's probably the refrigerator. I don't ever put my fondant covered cakes in fridge after covering them. Sometimes I will put the cake in the fridge after putting on the buttercream to help it crust but usually I don't have to do that.

You can refrigerate fondant but it may form condensation on it when you take it out. That will usually dry after a few minutes but you can't touch it or try to put any decorations on it until it does dry.

HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

freezing fondant won't mess it up if you take measures to thaw carefully. If you take it directly from freezer into a warm climate, yes, you run a higher risk of having issues with the cake.

I agree with Bonnell though, I think they're fridgin' their tiers ...chilling them helps harden the meringue buttercreams allowing for easier application of the fondant.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparm25

almost everyone has put the cakes in the freezer before covering with fondant and also after the fondant is put on, wouldn't that mess up the fondant? Like I said I am very new and excited to learn all the tricks of the trade!

I put a lot of my cakes in the freezer before they are covered and that is because the majority of the cakes I do are novelty/carved cakes and you can't shape them correctly if they are not almost frozen, they crumble.

I am not sure why they would put them in the fridge after they have been covered, I think the other replies are correct, this would be perhaps a refrigerator or a cool room.

You have joined the right website to learn all the tricks - I learn something new everyday!

Best of luck and welcome thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%